Help me choose a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I lost the Canon A650 I loved so much (long story about a car catching fire, etc.). So, upon searching for an A650, I found their going rate is near doubled! Amazon sells them for $799!! Can you believe it?

Anyhow, I'm looking for a replacement in the same vein as the A650. I'm inclined toward Canon and Nikons but may consider others.....Olympus, maybe? Price target is <$400.

Just a simple camera that can do decent work. Can't justify any EOS-1D's or Nikon D3's. Thanks all!

I picked up a couple of Canon A720 and Canon housings a couple months ago. Can't go too wrong with sticking with the Canon A series really :wink:

Where, Alcina? The A720 seems to have gone the route of the A650. Amazon has them new for $480 and refurbed for $400. Heck, it was a $190 camera 2 years ago! I can buy a G10 for $430.

A G10 is definitely the way you should be going.

RW1--I shot a Fuji F-30 (replaced it w/ a G-10) for 3 years and my wife still shoots her Fuji F-31. These are nice cameras but are a couple 3 years in the distant past, digital camera-wise. Fuji now makes an F-200EXR (DP has a review: Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review ) B&H sells the camera for around $329. and they have the Fuji housing (WP FX200) at around $139.

I liked the F-30 underwater and the F-200EXR seems like it has nice upgrades, like a 28-140 equiv. lens, 12MP and image stabilization (alas, JPEG only, no RAW). They make a solid, simple housing which does pretty well w/out external flash (at least the F-30 did). Very dependable double o-ring system.

The G-10 is great but pricier (maybe $600 w/ housing?) and to not have it w/ an external strobe would be limiting IMO. I'm glad I upgraded but a good UW strobe costs more than the G-10 and if you are on a budget...Well, good luck, lot's of great choices these days. // ww

Forgive my ignorance- What make is the G 10 ?

Canon

- apparently I'm not allowed to post links - but check the "canon corner" subgroup, there seems to be a lot of post about the camera.

I've only heard excellent reviews of the G7-G8-G9-G10 line...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom