Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikefreekz

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been diving for years and finally decided that I should get myself a ubderwater housing, so herein lies my predicament. I don't need anything fancy and definitely no SLR setup, so that comes down to a compact point-n-shoot. Cost is a big factor and i'll consider second-hand system. I have narrowed down to a few choices and will like to know what you think about it...

Olympus XZ-1 and olympus housing (PT-050)
Not a current model but what drew me is the Olympus housing which is pretty attractively priced and well-built. Will consider used unit for sure. Saw the new XZ-2 in the flesh and I liked it very much, overall build quality not as 'plastic' as XZ-1 but the only down side is that the price is kind of steep. Should be able to get a used XZ-1 and housing for about $500+ thereabout i reckon.

Canon S100/s110
Nothing but good reviews for both models on dpreview, can't go wrong with either but obviously S110 being the latest model, cost quite a bit more than the S100. Housing wise quite a lot of options but realistically speaking can only afford either canon or ikelite.

Canon G15
Saw the camera and really impressed with the size and build quality. Similar to S100/110, housing options is between canon or ikelite (think the other major housing maker should be announcing their housing soon, correct me if I'm wrong). Canon's housing is roughly $200 cheaper than ikelite (quick search on ebay). Being such a new model, unlikely to find second hand. This I think will be the most pricey option.

Lastly, I have a Nikon P300 at the moment, not a smart choice really. Decent camera but nowhere near to all the above options in terms of image quality and only the available housing is from ikelite which cost about $400. The simplest option would be to keep the Nikon and just buy the housing but my thoughts are since I'm going to get a housing, why not get it for a far superior camera instead...

So that's it really, not in a big hurry to get it but mental deadline is may next year, in time for my trip. Your thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom