Help keep Sea Turtles on Endangered species List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
THE FEDERAL FISH AND WILDLIFE COMMISION IS CONSIDERING THE REMOVAL OF SOME SEA TURTLES OFF THE ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST.
Leatherbacks and Loggerhead Turtles are being considered for this removal from the list. Show your support and write to the NATIONAL SEA TURTLE COORDINATOR and tell them why you think they should not be removed from the list. The turtles have not made a complete come back and to remove them now may interfere with the incline in numbers. The sea Turtles are still threatened by disease and Pollution. Over developing of shoreline has affected the population as well. show your support and write today!
National Sea Turtle Coordinator
1315 East West Highway
SilverSprings, MD 20910.

Care to cite numbers?
Or is this just your "feeling?"
I doubt they're considering removing them from the list for lack of sound data.
Personally, I think numbers that warrant a removal from the endangered list is reason to celebrate, not protest.
Rick

Popular support is not used in determine whether an animal is endangered or not.

As far as stopping the overdevelopment of shorelines, good luck. South Florida beaches are becoming a wall of condos and no one can stop it. You can write the politicains but I'll bet your "campaign contribution" is not as big as the developers.

DennisS:
Popular support is not used in determine whether an animal is endangered or not.

As far as stopping the overdevelopment of shorelines, good luck. South Florida beaches are becoming a wall of condos and no one can stop it. You can write the politicains but I'll bet your "campaign contribution" is not as big as the developers.
The coordinator is actually asking for opinions on this subject and they will consider all the information. If everyone takes the same attitude towards this issue little will get done except a guarantee that they'll be removed from the list. I hope you can reconsider your decision. how about telling them how you used to see more turtles and how youd like to be able to see them again. I bet those children in your profile picture would like to see them too!

Rick Murchison:
Care to cite numbers?
Or is this just your "feeling?"
I doubt they're considering removing them from the list for lack of sound data.
Personally, I think numbers that warrant a removal from the endangered list is reason to celebrate, not protest.
Rick
Im not protesting, believe me you'll know when I do. Im just passing on info to divers who I think may have a opinion and I respect yours, however this time I dont agree with it. Thats o.k too because thats what this country is about. If there were more people like me, there wouldnt be condos choking the shoreline and the turtles would have never been put on the list. but as long as people rather let things happen they'll always be endangered and you'll have less beach to play on.........

What I'm seeing is more Hawksbills than ever. Greens I can't talk about... don't have a feel one way or the other.
Loggerheads and Leatherback, now those need protection and help. But if my sightings is a basis (which it shouldn't be) then Hawksbills should be off the list yesterday.
And so I ask again, got any numbers?
Emoting makes very poor wildlife management; causes effort and funds expenditures, both of which are limited, to go to the wrong places.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
What I'm seeing is more Hawksbills than ever. Greens I can't talk about... don't have a feel one way or the other.
Loggerheads and Leatherback, now those need protection and help. But if my sightings is a basis (which it shouldn't be) then Hawksbills should be off the list yesterday.
And so I ask again, got any numbers?
Emoting makes very poor wildlife management; causes effort and funds expenditures, both of which are limited, to go to the wrong places.
Rick
30 % percent less turtles nesting than 5 years ago. More turtles being reported with cancer and tumors, thats up 50% now. We should consider that the enviroment is getting worse not better so if you ad these factors its obvious theres a problem.
id love to see them takin off the list but its too soon lets let them have a few more years to be sure. its not going to cost taxpayers money to keep them on but if they are takin off and theres a sudden decline and the species stands to not recover.
Is that your best reason to leave them on so we save money? It sounds like you are fortunate to have so many turtles where you dive or maybe you just keep seeing the same turtle?

reefsavers.org:
The coordinator is actually asking for opinions on this subject and they will consider all the information. If everyone takes the same attitude towards this issue little will get done except a guarantee that they'll be removed from the list. I hope you can reconsider your decision. how about telling them how you used to see more turtles and how youd like to be able to see them again. I bet those children in your profile picture would like to see them too!

Let me get this straight, NOAA is asking for peoples opinion on the status of the sea turtle and will consider the information in determining the status.

Pleas provide a link and if possible a name of the person that is using opinion in the determination of the sea turtle's status.

DennisS:
Let me get this straight, NOAA is asking for peoples opinion on the status of the sea turtle and will consider the information in determining the status.

Pleas provide a link and if possible a name of the person that is using opinion in the determination of the sea turtle's status.
National Sea Turtle Coordinator
1315 east west highway
silver springs MD 20910.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom