Help!!!!! @*%ing Red Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you set your camera to "underwater" mode (if it has one) while using your flash?

Joe is a great guy and his son as well! I have shared a bowel of Kava with both of them!

I don't see it as ordinary backscatter and have to agree it is something going on in the housing or the fact that it is a clear housing? I have seen something close if the flash is too far forward! In the one shot it cut a section out of the tail of the skate? so that would indicate something very close to the lens like the port? Did you check for moisture inside the housing? Our air bubbles on the lens from jumping in and not fanning the lens?:D

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the responses and I shall take both reasons on board and try to eliminate the internal flash from bouncing around the housing and I will get an external flash/strobe to try and cut out the backscatter option. This will be the only way to solve this me thinks!!

I will look through the threads to find a good strobe to use with the set up I have.

Thanks again everyone.

Luke.

Joe is a great guy and his son as well! I have shared a bowel of Kava with both of them!

I don't see it as ordinary backscatter and have to agree it is something going on in the housing or the fact that it is a clear housing? I have seen something close if the flash is too far forward! In the one shot it cut a section out of the tail of the skate? so that would indicate something very close to the lens like the port? Did you check for moisture inside the housing? Our air bubbles on the lens from jumping in and not fanning the lens?:D

Papa Bear, you just made my day:rofl3: how did you go about sharing a "bowel" of Kava:D

I don't know? We shared the coconut shells with tourists so who knows???! So you didn't understand what I was saying? Let me try again! We shared a bowl of Kava! Now do you understand or would you like further details because I am sure that later on we also shared it in the other way!

BTW it was air bubbles on the lens!

BTW it was air bubbles on the lens!
I guess that would explain the look of backscatter and the hexagonal shape. So you "fan" these bubbles off the port...what if they are stubborn is it okay to brush them off with your fingertips?

I use an F-30, my wife shoots an F-31, both w/ the same Fuji housing. The system uses a flash diffusion attachment that extends the flash output just past the housing's lens extension port. Assuming there are no sensor dust issues (ie--the camera would not show these results if shooting a smooth, light toned scene like a blue sky) then the issues are backscatter and/or condensation. I'm berring condensation. The housing is small and the camera can generate some heat. Was the OP using a fresh silca gel pack? I carry a small piece of lens chamois in a film can to occasionally wipe the inside of the lens port glass if I notice any fogging after a dive. If it shows any fogging (not very common) I change silca gel packs.

While of course using an external strobe would help avoid backscatter it isn't necessary to use one to get good shots with the camera, especially when shooting in close. The system does a credible job providing reasonable illumination, though of course the on-camera flash isn't going to totally avoid backscatter. What helps reduce the problem though is the slight downward angle of the flash extension diffuser. It provides a less harsh effect and in macro it works quite well to provide decent light. I've had traces of this red effect but only the few times where I also noticed slight fogging immediately upon surfacing. (If you look for it a few minuites later, after the housing warms up, you won't see it.) Keep things dry inside, you won't see this problem--it's a fun little camera! // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom