Help in Hilo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiminreno

New
Reaction score
I will be making a fast trip to the big Ialand and staying in Hilo for a family reunion. Coming along is my 14 year old grand son. I would like him to do a discovery dive while we are there. I do not have the time to drive to Kona so we need a dive boat out of Hilo, are there any?

...I do not have the time to drive to Kona so we need a dive boat out of Hilo, are there any?

I think Lobo Del Mar was running a small boat out of Hilo, but I'm not sure if they still are.

Because East Hawaii is exposed to the trade winds, the water is generally rougher on this side, and I think it would be pretty tough to stay in business running a dive boat... too many "bad weather" days.

But, weather permitting, shore diving here in Hilo at Leleiwi is also a great option, especially as we head into summer. The entry/exit not too difficult, and its a very short swim to the reef and lots of sea turtles. Vis is very weather dependent (since we are on the windward side), but summer time the vis tends to be quite good.

Give Bill a call at Nautilus Dive Center in Hilo and he can let you know what the water conditions are like. He is very experienced and does lead shore-dive tours on the Hilo side.

Enjoy your stay here!

Back
Top Bottom