HELP!!! I'm in Cozumel with a foggy camera housing!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyin-To-Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just went on my first 2 tank dive here in Cozumel and noticed that my Ikelite housing is fogging on the lens inside the housing. I don't have silica packets and don't have access to them.

What tips/tricks can I employ to stop this???

I'm on a dream vacation and really need some help:(

There are several places in Cozumel that sell moisture munchers, I have seen them. Don't know where you are staying but I am sure the dive shop across the street from Scuba Club Cozumel has them.

If you have an air conditioned room, you could open the case and dry and air out the case, should be drier air in the room. Seal the case while in the room, don't open it when you are on the boat. I have heard this will help but getting the moisture munchers might be the best solution. Others might have more ideas. Hope this helps.

There are several places in Cozumel that sell moisture munchers, I have seen them. Don't know where you are staying but I am sure the dive shop across the street from Scuba Club Cozumel has them.

If you have an air conditioned room, you could open the case and dry and air out the case, should be drier air in the room. Seal the case while in the room, don't open it when you are on the boat. I have heard this will help but getting the moisture munchers might be the best solution. Others might have more ideas. Hope this helps.

Munchers are the best idea and they were available last time I was at SC

And drying in the air conditioned space will help, but you need to let the housing go back to ambient temp outside before your dive.

The last option is to use defog on the housing.... wipe it off lightly.

I use the little packs of chemicals that come with certain food. (free moisture munchers!)
As a quick fix, you can consider the following (each has pros and cons...pretty obvious)
1. turn off camera immediately after you shot a picture or video (I would do this regardless because I don't want to run out of battery)
2. remember what did you did your mask? :)
3. always leave your camera in the rinse tank

3. always leave your camera in the rinse tank

The intent with this suggestion is good - keeping the camera housing closer to ocean temp will decrease the temp changes that lead to fogging. However, I would caution against keeping the camera in the rinse tank at all times on the boat. Rinse tanks are a common source of leaks from banging into the walls of the tank and other camera gear, and from the idiots who cannot seem to remember to NOT to put their anti-fog ridden masks into the tank (anti-fog "eats" o-rings).
I would suggest either keeping the camera cool by covering with a damp towel in a shaded portion of the boat, or a personal rinse tank (soft-sided cooler).

Many good suggestions
One thing I would like to point out is, you shouldn't have to keep your camera at the same temp as the water you are diving.
The only way you get fog/condensation in your camera housing is because there is some amount of water already in it.
Whenever you are storing your camera, or after your day of diving is done, use Moisture muncher/silica gel in your housing. If you're in a bind somewhere that doesn't have this you can stuff a bunch of toilet paper to absorb some of the moisture and see if that helps.

Last edited:
1. Do not leave your camera in the rinse tank as it is an easy way to get it damaged from other cameras or items in the tank. The water in the rinse tank will be warmer than leaving your camera hanging overboard if you have access to a rope and can safely do so. I carry my own length of rope with a shock cord rigged to it.
2. Carefully clean the inside of the housing lens port with alcohol to get rid of any film on it.
3. Load the camera into the housing and hold the open housing up to the A/C unit for about 60 seconds to get dry air in it then immediately close it.
4. Keep the camera housing out of the sun and heat at all times.
5. Limit your number of photos on a dive. The more photos you take the more heat the camera generates.
6. Turn off the monitor when swimming, if not the camera. Turning the camera on and off in the currents of Cozumel may not be practical.

The silica packets are the main cure for fogging so if possible get some.

Thank you all so much for the info!!! I really appreciate all the responses! I will give them a shot and I know I will be better off. I will also post some video from my dives.

So far I dove the Santa Rosa Wall, in a STRONG current and I dove the C-53 Wreck Xicotencatl. The current was a challenge, but really rewarding and the shipwreck was AMAZING! We went through the entire ship and I took a video of the entire thing.

Thanks again for the help!

If you can't get moisture munchers, rice will do in a pinch. It's not as good but better than nothing and it takes a while to work so close it in the housing wrapped in tissue several hours before you hit the water.

If you are stuck away from civilization (i.e. A/C) between dives and the first dive fogged, try blowing your case out with scuba tank air and then quickly closing it back up. Tank air is (or at least should be) considerably dryer than ambient air.

The intent with this suggestion is good - keeping the camera housing closer to ocean temp will decrease the temp changes that lead to fogging. However, I would caution against keeping the camera in the rinse tank at all times on the boat. Rinse tanks are a common source of leaks from banging into the walls of the tank and other camera gear, and from the idiots who cannot seem to remember to NOT to put their anti-fog ridden masks into the tank (anti-fog "eats" o-rings).
I would suggest either keeping the camera cool by covering with a damp towel in a shaded portion of the boat, or a personal rinse tank (soft-sided cooler).

As I said, every task has pros and cons.......one of my camera was stolen from the camera tank (rinse tank for cameras only)....
The pros and cons are pretty obvious....I leave it to you to decide the risk level:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom