Help IDentifying WWII Era Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO it looks like Desco helmet, but I am not completely sure that this is a Buie. The missing scrubber assembly could be obviously removed to host the third party rebreather, but it also misses the the characteristic top view port for looking towards the surface. It looks more like some kind of off spin from a 106 model.
As of the second part of the puzzle, it is definitely Siebe Gorman rebreather, more precisely The Mine Recovery Unit. It was design in early 1940s by British Experimental Unit run by Sir Robert Davis. Unit is non magnetics( part made of non ferrous metals, alloy tanks) and it is design to be autonomous, not requiring direct surface tending. If the mine go boooom, there be no surface casualties. Rebreather uses nitrox mix allowing diver to reach the depth of 120 feet and surfacing directly to the surface from the depth of 70 feet without any decompression obligations. Original configuration include Siebe Gorman helmet and two part suit.
Canadian orgin of the pictures, maybe a perfect explanation for that unorthodox mix of a equipment.
rgrds
Tomek

This does not look like on O2 rebreather to me. There are too many cylinders. I'm no expert on these, but I just did some searching at the Rubicon Society Website which houses the US Navy Experimental Diving reports, and in 1942 they had a report of using helium/oxygen mixtures to dive to 500 feet in tanks and 400 feet in the open sea in that year (1942). You can download a copy of that report at:

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/3312

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/browse-date?month=-1&year=-1&starts_with=1940

There are other reports available during that time period. It is possible that your grandfather was conducting experimental dives, or working dives, using helium/oxygen.

SeaRat

Canadians no doubt don't get the credit they deserve down here for all of their accomplishments in WWII. Especially on D-Day and the breakout. You definitely should be proud of your grandfather! Thanks for posting those cool photos.

Back
Top Bottom