Help Identifying Sherwood Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You probably want to download the manuals for this regulator. From what I remember the test of the dry bleed involves submerging the regulatier and using a graduated cylinder to capture the bubbles and measure the deplacement of water from the cylinder over time. Also Sherwood has special cleaning instructions which probably were not followed. For example they advise against cleaning the piston because it can plug the valve.

Your description of the bleed valve bubbling is a classic where either grease (from sloppy service practice) or salt crystals (from flooding) have clogged the sintered filter in the piston base. Your bleed rate should be 18cc/min, which is half a shot glass inverted over the bleed valve with the reg submerged. What you describe is way less than that, indicating the filter is blocked. Those filters are actually easily purchased: Sherwood Regulator Kit Part Flow Restrictor Filter Part 5105-14 NEW - Coral Sea Scuba & Water Sports. I have two of those 1st stages in my shop, and I think the adjustable IP capability was ahead of its time! Happy to service them for you - I'm factory certified for Sherwood.

That part is for the later style 1st stage.
........this is the older model with the filter integrated into the piston.
If this filter is clogged it'll need a whole new piston.

rsingler,
It is the later ROUND first stages that have the flow restrictor offset into the body. The early versions of this first stage had a scintered filter integrated into the bleed screw assembly. Late they went to a small white foam? filter in this assembly. This is very easy to replace.
The one pictured has the a scintered filter integrated into the piston. I have tried, with very limited success to clear these integrated filters. A new piston is the best option.
I liked this method of adjusting IP far better than shims. I once asked a Sherwood rep why they had gone back to shims, but by her answer, I knew she had no idea what I was talking about.

That part is for the later style 1st stage.
........this is the older model with the filter integrated into the piston.
If this filter is clogged it'll need a whole new piston.

Of course you are right about the part. Good pick up, thanks.
Keyshunter had it right about a possible salvage. With warm ultrasound with absolutely clean new solution, you can occasionally free up the pores in the sintered element. But if not, I'll check in my shop - I may have a spare piston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom