Help Identifying Sherwood Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tropically

Registered
Reaction score
I just acquire this Sherwood Regulator, I've searched high and low on Google and can't find the model or age... does anyone know what Sherwood model this is and vintage? thanks

20131006_084450.jpg

20131006_084421.jpg

20131006_084435.jpg

Thanks Fishpie! I've already tested it and it functions properly, anything these particular regulators are known for that i can check/maintain etc?

The 2nd stage performs better than the standard one of the same era although it can be a bit creaky.
The 1st stage is a bit unusual in that its intermediate pressure is externally adjustable (there's a tiny set screw in the hole under the yoke that needs to be loosened to do this...be careful not to strip it).
The end cap is in 2 parts.
.....otherwise it's like every other Sherwood of similar and older vintage.

Make sure that the "dry bleed" is still working......if not you will need a new piston.

Yes, it should bubble from around the rubber plug.
If it doesn't it will flood and perform poorly.....the piston has a 1/8" diameter sintered filter in it to allow air through which can be blocked by a greasy finger during service.

Tested it in a fifty gallon drum and a single small bubble formed in the center of the plug, when I tilted or moved it, another single small bubble would form, but no steady stream of small bubbles...... (when I field tested it yesterday everything seemed to work properly, although I couldn't see the first stage) But now that I think of it, dry mouth was definitely an issue.....

.....don't know what dry mouth has to do with anything but it does sound like there's not enough flow through the dry bleed.
You should check and see if there's water inside (happens when there is no/low flow).
Don't forget to loosen the set screw before you take the piston cap off.

I has 2 of those regs in the early '90's. Great regs, by the way.
What Fishpie says, except that you do not need to loosen the setscrew to remove the piston cap. It is actually a stop to prevent one's turning the cap further and thus increasing IP. If you do need to increase IP, carefully loosen the set screw (good luck with that if the reg was used in salt water) completely away from the cap, set the IP and then re-lock it.
If the black mushroom cap is sealing as it should, you probably won't get water into the piston chamber if the dry bleed is not functioning, but the reg will get harder to breath as you go deeper. Also, if you have near normal hearing, you should be able to hear the bubbles being released from the first stage while under water, which is a handy check for functioning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom