help identifying a steel tank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My friend has an old steel tank (recently tumbled and filled)

however, he doesn't know its capacity or buoyancy when empty

specs:
weight (when full, including valve & boot) 36.2 lbs
height (not including valve) 21 3/4 inches
diameter of tank: 7 1/8 inches
service pressure: 2400 (+10%)

It also says "GALV" on the tank
If the make is on the tank, I can't see it!

Any idea how many cubic feet of air it holds, and what the buoyancy is when empty?

thanks alot!
Scott

Sounds like approx 65CF - could you post everything stamped on the neck & shoulder?
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Sounds like approx 65CF - could you post everything stamped on the neck & shoulder?
Rick

thanks rick! if it is a 65, let me know if you have a guess on the buoyancy when empty also...

in order, going around the tank:

6A93+
DOT-3AA2400
A645657
GALV

Scott

I agree, Steel 65. They are usually right around neutral when empty, but on the older ones there was a lot of variation so you will have to experiment.

The book says -1.5 empty....but I would not put too much stock in it.

The GALV indicates galvanized steel. I don't have my serial number code guide here but I would guess it is probably PST or a distributor of PST under a house brand.

These are great tanks for beach dives. I have two Norris steel 65's which I use regularly.

Jerry

jerryn:
I agree, Steel 65. They are usually right around neutral when empty, but on the older ones there was a lot of variation so you will have to experiment.

The book says -1.5 empty....but I would not put too much stock in it.

The GALV indicates galvanized steel. I don't have my serial number code guide here but I would guess it is probably PST or a distributor of PST under a house brand.

These are great tanks for beach dives. I have two Norris steel 65's which I use regularly.

Jerry

Since the question has been answered....
[Hijack] How do you like the Norris?[/Hijack]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom