Help Identify Fossil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a friend who owns a mini-warehouse. When a customer vacated a unit he left several of these ranging in size from 1 1/2 to 3 inches in length.

Can anyone identify what they might be??
2095084scan0003web.jpg

2095085scan0004web.jpg

2095086scan0005web.jpg
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/147/147015/folders/251319/2095084scan0003web.jpg

Bring 'em with you Thursday... my first impression is "seed" but my second impression is "???????????!"
Rick :)

Ah yes, the rare prehistoric giant pistachio nut!

I got to get my hands on one last Thursday.
I believe it's a seed, not fossilized, just very hard.
I'm still trying to find out what plant it came off of, but I'm pretty sure I've seen one before... my recommendation is to put it in water and see what we get!
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I got to get my hands on one last Thursday.
I believe it's a seed, not fossilized, just very hard.
I'm still trying to find out what plant it came off of, but I'm pretty sure I've seen one before... my recommendation is to put it in water and see what we get!
Rick

There's a way to tell, but if it's not a fossil, it'll be destroyed. Hold a flame to it. A fossil won't burn. Non-fossilized animal tissue will smell like burning hair. A non-fossilized plant will burn, but the smell will depend on what it is.

Walter:
There's a way to tell, but if it's not a fossil, it'll be destroyed. Hold a flame to it. A fossil won't burn. Non-fossilized animal tissue will smell like burning hair. A non-fossilized plant will burn, but the smell will depend on what it is.
Even easier than that, Walter... this thing floats :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom