HELP...I need to make a choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok...so i used the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010...not too impressed. There were some UW settings, but not sure why because my photos still came out greenish/bluish. Had to edit them in photoshop. Also, it's basically a good point & shoot. Need something that offers more "professional" features (manual exposure, rear sync flash, etc).

AngieD300,
as you are shooting in a greenish/bluish ambient underwater pics will always be of such a colour. The only way to avoid that is shooting macro and using a strobe.
Having a camera able to record RAW files will open the possibility to do adjust the white balance on your computer and get rid (a bit) of too greenish/blueish colour. Anyway, there are not so much photos coming straight out of the camera and you will have to spend some time editing them.
As the G11/S90 can be a complicated camera using her not in auto mode you have to learn how to use it.
I would not wonder if i could borrow a unknown camera and after the first dive the pics are not so good.
For this reason you may take the easier road and look for a D300 housing if you already own a D300.

Chris

Hi Angie, I own the DX-1G and i think it takes great pictures above and below water. You can get a DX-1G with a housing for around $700. The camera can be used in a point and shoot mode and in a manual mode. It has several wet lenses that can be added underwater such as wide angle, close-up, and a fisheye. I just purchased the fisheye lens and can't wait to use on my trip to Fiji in July. If you click on my "photos" link you can see some of the pictures I have taken with it. If your budget permits, you might consider the DX-2G which is an updated version of the lG. You can email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net if you want to see some of my above water photos that I have taken.

Regards,

Bill

I am a Canon girl. I shoot Canon DSLR's (450C and 5D) uptop.

My first UW camera was a SeaLife DC 600. I upgraded to the DC1000 and that is now my main camera. When I do the next upgrade, I am headed for a Canon G-11 and Fix housing. My next UW camera will have RAW mode. For my SeaLife, I like the pics it takes. I don't like the strobe set up. The deeper we go the more color we lose. The only way to restore that is to use strobes. The length of the arm is not long enough to get the lighting focused well on the subject without some major adjusting. The camera with both strobes also has positive bouancy. I have some pics posted on my profile and have others from a recent trip that I need to get up. If you decide to go with a SeaLife, pm me here and I will give you some setting adjustment to make that made a HUGE difference in my picture quality. Cathy Church walked me through these in her class on Point and Shoot strobes at Beneath the Sea this year and I am so much happier with my pictures now.

I was able to get a Sealife DC1200 for a great price...there were a few features (RAW, wider lens) that the this cam didn't have, but the Sea&Sea DX-1G did, but i was able to save a couple of hundred dollars (for my iPad itch, but that's a whole different issue). I think it will be a great starter camera...i'll post some photos as soon as i get the cam & go diving. thanks everybody for the advice!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom