HELP...I need to make a choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngieD300

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok...i'm buying my first real UW camera and I'm so torn right now. I've researched them all, and i'm not sure what to pick. I am a photographer, on land, so i'm sure there are different things to consider underwater. Ok, so if anybody could give me some pointers ($$ is somewhat of a factor). Here are my choices...

* Sea & Sea DX 1G (little pricey, but it seems that it's just made for UW..obvious choice???)
* Sealife DC1200 (seems pretty BA, but heard bad things about Sealife; another made for UW camera)
Both seem to have great functions & the "manual" exposure factor is important to me

*Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 (Waterproof with out housing {33ft} & with housing {100+ ft}...just an amazing camera anyways

*Nikon P6000 (have to buy special housing, but being a Nikon girl, this camera is AMAZING and i know what it does)

I'm torn because i'm not sure if the "made for UW" cameras (Sea & Sea & Sealife) have something special that make them ideal for UW...versus the Olympus & Nikon. I've seen people take great photos with all kinds of setups (uh, expensive lighting)

I am also concerned with having a system that i can upgrade with lights, etc. So, with all that being said, if anybody could make any suggestions, i would APPRECIATE IT SOOOO MUCH!!!

I have been doing underwater photography for 2 years now and still can't decide on what camera I want to upgrade too. I currently have the Sealife DC800.

You can see photos I took with it on my website at:
Kipling Brock Photography

If you like the Sealife DC1200 maybe try buying a used DC800. It will save you some money. This way if you don't like it you won't be out as much.

I would personally go to the scuba shop and mess around with both cameras to make sure you like the cameras.

The good things about my DC800:
Great Battery Life -I took 1,000 photos on 1 snorkel trip and it still had a good amount of battery left
Easy to use
The housing doesn't require you to put oil on the O-ring
Easy to add sealife flashes too - I personally have two flashes but never used them to take photos.

The Bad:
Burst mode is slow. This makes fast moving object pretty difficult to capture
I don't like the way the focus works. It doesn't do a good job of spot focusing

Good luck with whatever brand you choose.

If Sea Life had a better reputation, the DC1200 Elite setup is a hard to beat deal with camera, housing, tray, strobe, wide lens and all the other knick knacks to hook it all up for $800 (cheaper at Scubatoys with the 10% forum discount). If that doesn't bother you, I would go with the DC1200 as even used it is hard to beat that price.

SeaLife DC1200 Digital Underwater Camera Elite Kit reviews and discounts, SeaLife

Their rep scared me off of their cameras. It might not be justified, but if I am going to drop near 4 digits for a setup I want it to work and when it doesn't I want the company to take care of it.

*Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 (Waterproof with out housing {33ft} & with housing {100+ ft}...just an amazing camera anyways

In any case, just don't buy Olympus! If you decide to buy this type of camera than Panasonic TS2 (FT2) is much better choice.

FT2 or TS2 is (like 8010) waterproof to 10 meters (33ft) meters without housing, and to 40 meters (130ft) with Panasonic DMW-MCFT2 underwater housing. Plus it makes much better pictures, has better optics and record best movies in its class.

Thanks guys...funny thing, i just bought the Olympus, and i personally think the photo quality is crappy. I mean, basic photos were flat & washed out. I may just either go with the Sealife, or just get a housing for my Nikon P6000...manual control is very important & RAW ability is a great plus.
What would really help to know is if the special "underwater" settings that the UW cameras have really make a difference. My Nikon doesn't have any of those features, but the quality is amazing. So i really appreciate all the advice, and welcome more!!

The best picture quality actually is the Canon G11 or -for small lady hands, but not limited to - the Canon S90. I had always Nikon cameras but those models from Canon are really something extraordinary above and under water.

Chris

YESSS...i saw the Canon G-11! I would have to get a housing for that, right? ...and that camera is not cheap. It has alot of the same features my Nikon does. Hmmm...good suggestion.

I am bout to my first UW camera also after looking through everything for us it came down to the Sea&Sea DX1200HD and the Sealife DC1200. Still stuck which one to get.

The original Canon OEM housing for the G11 is 200$ and it's not sooo bad, taking care of it and don't going too deep it is ok.
A better choice would be the Ikelite housing but this will be 600$...

She is a bit more expensive (+/- 500$) than others but the picture quality is unmatched.

The S90 is basically the same camera, the difference is the smaller housing and less "expensive".

Chris

P.S. look here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G11/G11A.HTM

That's what i want!! I will spend the $$ if i know my photos will be the best quality. I just won't spend $$ for features that seem cool, but really don't make a difference, when you can just manually make adjustments in a regular camera. I will definitely check out the Canon (shhh, don't tell my Nikon). Thank you!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom