Help...I am 5'4 and have 40inch hips. How will I fit into a wet suit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cathy4563

New
Reaction score
I have a trip of a life-time scheduled for the end of the month. I need to fit into a wet suit that the shop will provide for a one day dive. I'm not that wiggly, jiggly fat girl, but I've got some curves to squeeze into the suit. When I see the size guide, I would be an XXL short. They mean short like 5'11. I'm short, like 5'4". What's the end around? I don't want to miss out on this incredible experience.

If the shop is providing, let them figure it out..

You may have to fold back the legs and arms.

Hmmm, need a little more info.
Why do you need a wetsuit? Cold water (temp?)? Body abrasion protection?
Shop provides? They actually have all sizes, incl XXL short?
Are you certified?

A great question. And, with wetsuits as with other garments, one size does not fit all. And, the last thing you want is a wetsuit that allows water to simply flow freely through the suit because it is too loose, or a suit that is so tight that it impairs circulation.

You question is not - at this point - an issue of ordering a custom made suit. You just want to be sure that you have reasonable exposure protection for the upcoming dive. So, where are you going to be diving? A loose fitting suit in warm water will provide protection against contact with critters / fire coral, etc. and, even though it may not be thermally functional, in warm water that won't matter and a looser fitting suit will be fine.

If you are diving in cold water, you want a suit that hugs your body, and doesn't allow cold water to continue to flow through freely, and there are some options. Whether you go with a one piece or two piece, you want to be sure the suit fits around your hips. If that also means that either the one piece, or one or both pieces of the two piece (farmer john and shorty) are a bit loose on the top, one option is to add a vest - that fits your torso well - underneath the full, or two piece, suit. The good news about two-piece configuration is that you have some sizing flexibility. You may end up with a larger size for the farmer john portion, and a smaller size for the shorty portion - I have seen that be the case with a number of female divers, and with adjustment of the sizes of each unit, they are able to come out with a fully functional suit.

Now, as for the length of the extremities - a suit that fits snugly (but comfortably) around the ankles and wrist, even if it bunches a bit along the length of the arm or leg, is preferable to one that is too short, or way too tight, or way too loose.

Thank you for the responses. It is a cage dive in South Africa. Since the dive shop is providing the gear, I will have to work with them on sizes. I like the idea of a two piece wet suit if that is available. It will be my first time doing cold water diving.

This appears to be the "float in an open-top cage at the surface and dip your head under once in a while and breath-hold to see the sharks." And it seems you can get out of the cage at any time if you get cold. It is not really "diving" where you are submerged for 30-45 mins getting colder and colder. You should be fine. Just roll up the arms and legs! Two piece would be nice, doubtful they have them. Water is around 60F so not icy, just cold. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom