Help: Grand Cayman vs. St. John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is my first post, please bear with me (and if this would be better in a different
forum, let me know).

I have Usair tix that I can use to EITHER Grand Cayman OR to get to St. John in
early January. We are hoping for some thoughts comparing the islands on a few different aspects. ***We are going for scuba/snorkel and beaches***, NOT night life--we prefer to be a bit away from any hustle and bustle.

In addition to general impressions comparing these islands (from those who have
been to both), here are some specific areas we'd appreciate feedback:

For lodging what part of each islands would you recommend (close to best beaches/good diving, away from city). For GC, I'm hearing East End or 7-mile beach.
Only feedback I've gotten for St. John is Cinammon Bay.

I am an educator, so on a budget. We'll be checking expedia and vrbo--is it reasonable to expect we could find a little 1 BR/bungalow for $250/night or less that part of January?

Would we need to rent a car on each island for the week?

My girlfriend is up at 6 a.m., I'm more like 10 a.m. (on non dive days).
Would St. John presen a problem given ths schedule for her to get to beach or snorkeling if our villa is up on a hill? How close to the beahes can you rent (in our price range :-( )

Overall, is one island more pricey than the other (we've got the flights already covered).

Thanks! Sorry this is so long. Looking forward to feedback,
Doglover

We were in G. Cayman last year, and in USVI St. Thomas this year, both as cruise port stops. But I did do some research into both places, and try to be observant when there. We were not at St. John, but it will be more like St. Thomas but less crowded.

G. Cayman has the highest prices in the Caribbean islands. Last year the gas prices was over $8/gallon. This year in St. Thomas the gas prices was just over $3/g. Prices of lodging and food in G. Cayman are also higher.

In G. Cayman, the 7-mile beach is quite well known, and expensive. There are lots of hotels and condos there. You'll find the eastern part quieter. You probably would have gathered that if you are comparing prices. The beach itself is pretty good. The diving in clear water, and steep-drop walls, is world class.

In St. Thomas, I went on a 2-tank boat dive from Coki Beach. We also went near St. John (well, the captain pointed out to us, it wasn't that far). The diving there was also quite good. The marine life and coral growth was really good. I heard the beaches in St. John are excellent. I keep hearing about Trunk Bay there, but apparently there are many nice beaches.

Oh, the driving is on the left side of the ride in both places. For more info about top side life, you might look into tripadviser.

St. Johns is very different then St. Thomas. Very laid back, we like it very much. Diving may not be up to GC standards but all right. We stayed at Gallows Point, very nice place. Try to make a trip to the east side of the island and check out "Skinny Legs".
Al

FYI gas has never even been close to US$8 a gallon here in Grand Cayman.
At it's peak at the most expensive gas stations we were paying maybe CI$4.50 per Imperial Gallon. The fixed exchange rate is CI$0.82 to US$1.
This equates to around US$5.50 per IMPERIAL gallon which is approx 1 fifth larger than your US gallon which brings it back down to around US$4.40 for a US gallon.

Yes, things are expensive here but they are not THAT expensive!!

I've been to both islands. I love Grand Cayman. It is expensive, but the diving is so beautiful.

My favorite place to stay was Spanish Bay Reef, but when they closed this summer I stayed at Sunset House which was great. I still liked SB better though.

East End is faaar from nightlife. If you're looking for any, I'd recomment Sunset House. It's just out of the way enough, yet close to Georgetown.

I have also been to both (and I'm heading back to Grand cayman in three weeks)

given the vote I would say grand cayman has more to offer- St. John was more laid-back and for me felt like there was less snorkeling to be had. (just my opinion)

lodging area- Same for St. John
GC- 7 mile beach is good and central- would mean that you do not need to rent a car if you didn't want to.

But- I would say you would need a car in St. John and a car in GC would allow you to explore more of the island- some of the best snorkeling is in some of the more remote spots (rum point).

early morning timing would be no problem on GC - not sure about St. John.

I personally felt that although GC is expensive, because there is more tourist traffic, there are ways to reduce costs - exactly what I will be doing in three weeks time. Ex: shorediving vs. boat diving, buying liquor from the store for beach cooler, cooking and preparing food with a kitchenette room/apt - option of taking the bus, cheaper fast-food (bagels, Mcd's etc) overall- possible to do on a budget with some planning. I felt St. John was more limited- but again IMHO.

hope this helps.

If Scuba and Snorkling are your main objective, I would definitely recommend Grand Cayman. St John has never been known for great diving.

Sunset House is a fantastic option for great diving/snorkling. You can get up in the morning, throw on your gear and jump in. No need to even get on a boat, although they do offer boat diving too. Sunset House doesn't have a beach, but you can go to the public beaches on Seven Mile Beach.

FYI gas has never even been close to US$8 a gallon here in Grand Cayman.
At it's peak at the most expensive gas stations we were paying maybe CI$4.50 per Imperial Gallon. The fixed exchange rate is CI$0.82 to US$1.
This equates to around US$5.50 per IMPERIAL gallon which is approx 1 fifth larger than your US gallon which brings it back down to around US$4.40 for a US gallon.

Ah, I stand corrected. It was the van driver who told me itwas over$8 gallon. I was shocked and it stuck onme. I was riding between the cruise port and the 7-mile beach. Looked at the scenery but did not try to find a gas station. So took his word for it.

Guys, this has been most helpful. After discovering that my dopey brain misunderstood how my frequent flyer points work (instead of being able to get 2 tix, I really only had enough miles for ONE ticket), we found flights on AA from las vegas to GC for $390 rountrip. I'm not kidding!
And on expedia there was a sale for the Compass point on the East End, so we reserved there.
We'll be there first week of January. I'm sure I'll post later with lots o' questions.
Thanks again!

I never use miles to Grand Cayman because there are usually pretty good airfares to be had.

Compass Point will be a good place to stay and dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom