Help for Novel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason why i don't believe ambient pressure is a possibility has to do with the question of what gases you would use and their effects on the nervous system or other parts of the human body in the long run.
So let me ask: what gases would you use at 101 bar (1km uw) of ambient pressure?

---------- Post added April 17th, 2013 at 02:59 PM ----------

Hpns and either types of O2 toxicity are not acceptable...

O2 is not really an issue. A mix with .21% oxygen would get you around a PPO2 of .21. You could probably use more. HPNS? Hard to say using some nitrogen and hydrogen in the mix could help. Or, just search for people that aren't susceptible.

Given the idea of the story is the people can't directly ascend, keeping pressure to 1 or 2 ATM doesn't fit. Since it is science fiction, the problems of being at ambient are easily dealt with.

101x.21 does not equal .21

101*.21% comes close enough. I hope you can do that in your head :) To be clear, .21% is equal to .0021.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2013 at 01:08 AM ----------

I'm really hoping you misread Gekodivebali's post. LMAO

Don't think I did. Unless you think he was joking. He said you can't have O2 toxicity problems, I pointed out O2 would not be the problem. I think it is much more likely that you misread my post.

Ok Matt, did misread some.
What other gases make up the other 99.79% of your mixture?

---------- Post added May 5th, 2013 at 02:40 PM ----------

Am thinking about watching a movie where characters are breathing a high mix of helium. Just imagine heated arguments with high pitched voices...

Nitrogen is likely out since the END of anything over 3% would be bad. I agree with HPNS could be an issue. That is why I suggested adding in Hydrogen or finding people not susceptible to HPNS.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2013 at 01:43 AM ----------

---------- Post added May 5th, 2013 at 02:40 PM ----------

Am thinking about watching a movie where characters are breathing a high mix of helium. Just imagine heated arguments with high pitched voices...

They do that for a bit in the Abyss I think. I don't recall why they stop talking funny.

I am confused...perhaps that's because people are using ".21%" instead of "21%". LOL

Breathing air at 101ata (1km depth) equates to a PPO2 of 21.21 That's a 'little' beyond the safe max level of PPO2 1.6 Breathing a normoxic mixture at these depths is likely to be unsafe (an understatement)... but who knows? Nitrogen (sedative) has been theoretically proposed to suppress oxygen toxicity to some degree....

A hypoxic mixture (.21%) might solve the toxicity issue, but the need for a replacement gas remains the insurmountable obstacle.

Gasses to discount:

Helium is proven troublesome. HPNS (High Pressure Nervous Syndrome) aka "Helium tremors" is, based on current science, primarily linked with helium use. Inclusion of nitrogen is known to suppress presentation. How that'd play out at 101ata is beyond current science. :wink:

Argon, Xenon and Krypton are excessively narcotic.

Radon is radioactive (hence not tested on humans). Very dense gas.

Methane, Halothane and Cyclopropane etc are narcotic also.

Tetrafluoromethane and Sulfur Hexafluoride (SF6) are, I believe, is narcotic, but some small addition helps resolve 'squeeky voice' from helium. Better for a comedy, than sci-fi :wink:

Possible gasses:

Hydrogen has deep diving applications - Hydreliox and Hydrox have been used down to ~500m though. O2 must be kept below 3% to avoid explosive risk - that wouldn't be a problem at the author's theoretical depths though.

Neon (Ne), Neox (Ne + O2) and Neoquad (Trimix + Ne) have also been used. It's proven non-narcotic down to ~380m. Neon is very dense though - causing extreme decompression requirements and difficulty breathing at pressure... but that's potentially easy to work-around in 'sci-fi' than reality.

The author could just 'make up' a complex gas mixture that would pass muster with all but the most knowledgeable. Make a theoretical cocktail based on known principles and then use creativity to 'explain' how it'd work.. (one gas cancels negative properties of others etc..)

Like making a cocktail:

8 parts Hydrogen + Neon - the 'mixer'.
A dash of Oxygen - to sustain metabolism (life!) a fraction of 1%.
A tiny sprinkle of Sulfur Hexafluoride to allow them to talk normally.
Some Krypton to sedate (counter-act HPNS).

Name the gas according to systematic elements:

4 gasses quad
5 gasses pent
6 gasses hex
7 gasses sept
8 gasses oct
9 gasses en

i.e. "Pentmix" - a mixture of 5 gasses. Neokryptoxyhydrosulflouride

Alternatively... go with some potentially realistic brew i.e. 'Neohydreliox' and then invent some medication that overcomes issues like HPNS and narcosis. A 'magic pill' that the divers take to stimulate versus narcosis and/or sedate versus HPNS...

he he... it's fun.

The following is a good rescource: Exotic diving gases

Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your answers. We've been in a hole lately trying to get out of our science-fiction basis, which we finally managed to do, but it means that we'll be trying to make our story as realistic as possible now, and we can't really do anything "magical" anymore. We can stretch reality a bit, but nothing crazy. We have a question you might be able to answer, though: if a dead human body were to slowly sink at the bottom of the ocean, at a depth of, say half a mile, the fish would eat the skin, the ligaments, all that good stuff, but would the bones remain? After 20 years, would you say it's possible you'd still find some of the bones, disseminated everywhere? Would the pressure have any effect on them?

That is not deep enough for the pressure to crush the bones so they could still be there but to some degree buried depending on the type of bottom they were on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom