Help for Novel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They cannot make a one atmosphere bell out of aircraft wreckage and even if they could make an ambient pressure bell they would not have the right breathing mix to survive the transfer from the habitat to the bell.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2013 at 08:16 AM ----------

Can't make a one atmosphere bell...
Rich, what exactly prohibits breeding at ambient pressure?

The pressure causes a lot of problems but the worst of them effects the blood flow to the fetus. It can reduce, stop or even reverse that flow causing the fetal heart to stop.

Ok. I could never find any info on this, even after searching extensively since my dive instructor of a girlfriend is pregnant... All i could find was suggestions that pressure changes could adversely affect the fetus. I would love some references on this in order to further educate myself...

There has been no research in humans for obvious reasons. I know there has been studies with rats and sheep. Pregnant sheep are the closest match to humans as far as this type of research is concerned. One effect they found and cannot explain is that the fetus seems to be far more susceptible to the bends then the mother, causing it severe problems even though the mother is diving well within safe limits and unaffected. Other problems would be premature birth, low birth weight and larger then normal percentage of birth defects. I am assuming this research was done by the NEDU but I could not find it on line either.

PS: Contact the NEDU for more information. Even if they did not do the study they will be able to give you a far more detailed answer then I can.

Last edited:
So if we're talking pretty deep, and normal atmosphere, would you be a good friend :D and please confirm for my slow brain that:
1. there is no decompression time needed
2. what keeps them prisoners is that their suits are too heavy to swim upwards and/or their O2 source is the umbilical cord
3. they can't build a bell (they can't get the right breathing gasses)
4. we don't need to talk about trimix anymore
5. no way to use nitrogen narcosis
6. they could potentially build a capsule from plane wreckages that would mimick the suits but would somehow float to the surface? You said that seems unlikely in the previous situation, is it really that impossible now too? Keeping in mind that it won't work, they'll fail, so it'd be unlikely, but there needs to be a chance somehow.

Points 1-5 are correct. As for 6 they could not build a bell/capsule that could mimic the one atmosphere suit. You could use air tight wreckage from the aircraft to provide lift to one section of the habitat, put a few people inside that section, seal it off from the rest of the habitat, then disconnect that section from the habitat, sending it to the surface.

The reason you're saying it's got to be one section of the habitat is because they couldn't "recreate" the one-atmosphere pressure if they built that capsule in the water, right? If so, can't they just bring wreckages pieces into the structure, build a capsule, air-tight, which would benefit from the same atmosphere as the habitat, and launch that capsule inside a moon pool that leads to the water? If there is no decompression needed, could the capsule getting upwards too quickly create an issue for the person inside anyway, or wouldn't it be a problem?

The aircraft and a one atmosphere bell are made to do the exact opposite of each other and using very different materials for each. The bell is made from thick and heavy material and structured to keep a huge amount of pressure out. The aircraft is made from the lightest and least amount of material possible and structured to hold pressure in. It is the structure that plays as big a part here as the material itself. Using a typical boat as an example, put it in water and the hull holds the water out and floats, put it on land and fill the hull with water and the water will push the sides of the boat out causing it to fall apart. Same boat, same material, same water but two different applications of force on the same structure. I do not see how any part of the aircraft could be used to make a one atmosphere bell. If this is a must for your story then maybe they could use something they find inside the wreckage better suited to do this then to use the wreckage itself. Maybe this could be an experimental aircraft designed to fly into space, something a little more scifi, so the aircraft could then be made out of whatever you say it is made of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom