Help for macro with G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't need to use a focus light with my g10 but did need one with my oly xz-1. Will probably put on my g15 because I really enjoyed using it on swim-throughs to see the colors on the caverns and to look under ledges... easier than using a flashlight during the day for those kind of things. :)

Not meaning to be rude or offend anyone but that picture of the slug from coralcruiser could have been taken without a diopter and the shots from Maria are not even macro even if the camera was set in macro mode for the shot that does not mean the shot is actually a macro shot
I am not sure but looks like the camera is not even fully zoomed in cc shot a thing that you would really do if you have a +10 to make full use of the equipment you spent $$$ for
The nose of the ghost pipefish or the pygmy I posted earlier are real super macro 1.7:1 (+12 diopters 105mm on Canon S95) and as mjh says you usually need a focus light at that level of magnification and super small aperture if you plan to use the camera autofocus
Maybe the autofocus of the G12 does wonder however when you are trying really to go super macro your camera needs some help to lock focus if you want to avoid blur
A Sola dive 800 is perfect as it can switch between flood and spot and work like a dive light

I have not tested the G12 but I would think that with an Inon UCL165 shooting at full zoom 140mm you can achieve super macro around 1.2:1 as the sensor size is same of the S95: at that level of magnification a focus light helps

Not meaning to be rude or offend anyone but that picture of the slug from coralcruiser could have been taken without a diopter and the shots from Maria are not even macro even if the camera was set in macro mode for the shot that does not mean the shot is actually a macro shot
I am not sure but looks like the camera is not even fully zoomed in cc shot a thing that you would really do if you have a +10 to make full use of the equipment you spent $$$ for
The nose of the ghost pipefish or the pygmy I posted earlier are real super macro 1.7:1 (+12 diopters 105mm on Canon S95) and as mjh says you usually need a focus light at that level of magnification and super small aperture if you plan to use the camera autofocus
Maybe the autofocus of the G12 does wonder however when you are trying really to go super macro your camera needs some help to lock focus if you want to avoid blur
A Sola dive 800 is perfect as it can switch between flood and spot and work like a dive light

I have not tested the G12 but I would think that with an Inon UCL165 shooting at full zoom 140mm you can achieve super macro around 1.2:1 as the sensor size is same of the S95: at that level of magnification a focus light helps

Interceptor: You are rude and most of your posts among the various threads are usually argumentative and of a negative nature as you seem to think your opinion is the only correct one!

While I am always open to having my pics critiqued there is a nice way and a nasty way. Too bad you took the nasty way.

Interceptor: You are rude and most of your posts among the various threads are usually argumentative and of a negative nature as you seem to think your opinion is the only correct one!

While I am always open to having my pics critiqued there is a nice way and a nasty way. Too bad you took the nasty way.

I don't see how the above post comes across as rude. Everything that he said is a matter of fact and I would have to agree with him.

I don't see how the above post comes across as rude. Everything that he said is a matter of fact and I would have to agree with him.

Some people do not like the truth and it is true that I am a bit blunt and does not go down well, on the other side I accept critique as well and I am the first person not happy with my own results.

However sometimes you really wonder why people spend money for equipment they don't know how to use whilst they could achieve the same results using properly what they have already got?

I looked at the exif info of the shot from maria with an S95 a camera I know very well, it has been taken at wide end 28mm the subject has a reproduction ratio of around 1:2 so it is far from being macro
Using diopters on a compact camera without zoom brings no magnification whatsoever you need to zoom to get the subject bigger

I was trying to give some help to the op that has spent money on a diopter and two strobes already I would think that some good advice would help him/her to make the most of the equipment thay have and take decent shots, if I see some stuff that does not qualify as help I try to give my point of view that anybody can or not disagree, although for the pictures in this thread there is no matter of disagrement my examples are macro or super macro shots and the others are close ups

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom