Help for macro with G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a G12 in a Canon case with a Dyron adapter and Inon 165 diopter. I also have twin Sea and Sea YS01s. thats the setup. What generally would be the settings on my G12 for best macro results.What position for the strobes. Going to Palau next week. Just need a refresher. Thanks

You're going to need to shoot a lot of aperture to get any kind of reasonable DOF with that setup. I shoot basically the same rig except it's all Ikelite. With that UCL-165 I pretty much have to shoot at f/8 or the DOF is just razor thin.

-Charles

Hi there,

You've got a great set up there and will get lots of fabulous shots for sure.

For macro shots:

For a still subject choose an ISO 80/100, if it is a moving one like an anemonefish you may need a faster one of ISO 200.

If you want to give your macro subject as much depth-of-field (sharpness) as possible, choose an aperture of f8 - if you would like to create a little softness around its eyes and nose (bokeh effect) try an aperture of f5.6.

Thirdly for the background - if your subject is in front of a nice clear blue background or you would like to showcase a background which complements it then choose a shutter speed of 1/60th sec. If you would like that background to get darker, then simply increase your shutter speed and watch it turn from blue to black as you increase it gradually to 1/500th sec.

Even practicing on a fluffy toy on land will help you to see the difference before you go exploring underwater. Here is a photo taken with a Canon G12 by my course guest, Valerie Scotto with a simple dive torch practicing for her nudibranch trip this weekend with Alex Mustard in Norway! 533184_611217495559720_2125557516_n.jpg

The G12 has a strong zoom so will do marvels with just a single diopter. I suggest f/8 ISO 80 shutter speed anything equal or more than 1/250 as at that magnification you risk motion blur with slow shutter speeds
I also recommend you install CHDK and my TTL script for manual mode so you can use the strobes in STTL
Personally I don't like still macro pictures with two strobes as all shadows are removed one strobe works fine for me
Strobe position wise I recommend reading underwater photography guide there is even a video on strobe positions
Look on the raja ampat flickr set some example with Canon S95 one YS-01 usig those settings

Nose detail by Interceptor121, on Flickr

Pygmy Attitude by Interceptor121, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here's an image that I took using my Canon S95 and my INON UCL-165 AD Lens and just one strobe. You will definitely get fabulous results with your set-up. The settings were ISO 80/f8 and 1/500th sec.

Have a fabulous time and look forward to hearing how you get on.

All the best,

Maria

View the equipment story behind many compact camera shots here Flickr: Compact Camera Mermaid's Photostream

Blenny with macro lens.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom