HELP, for larger size wetsuit!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jonesee3,

If you're in Hawaii, I imagine the water will be much like SE Asian water: warm with occasional thermoclines at deeper depths. The average water temps here is 82F-87F, so minimum thermal protection is needed. I used to just wear a lycra suit, but it went to shreds just after 5 dives (lycra & velcro don't mix!!).

Now I wear a 0.5mm neoprene 1-piece fullsuit from Scubapro (see my profile photo). I'm a size 16 and about 5'7". My suit is a men's XL (I tried's women's XL, it fitted but the shoulders are a bit tight so I went for the men's instead). The suit is very stretchable and so easy to put on.... it just glides into place. I believe the XL will fit you well, but they do have larger sizes as well,: XXL and XXXL.

I also have a Dacor 3mm fullsuit (they don't have women's range here), size XL. Never had the chance to wear it yet (water's too warm!!) but it's quite comfortable when I tried it on.

http://www.womeninscuba.com/wsa/articles/oct99/liquidfit.html

I appologize. I am a guy, but all my dive buddies are... women.
Check the link for cool custom womens wetsuits. My wife won't dive in cold water because of wetsuit difficulty (20++). My work partner will dive (cold water...in a mans wetsuit... 2" short but she needs a better fit. I want reasonable womens wetsuits! Sorry, I love you guys but the wetsuit thing does suck.

Robert, an old fat guy but they make wetsuits for me. Now how about the women?

Robert

I also had a lot of trouble finding a 7mm wetsuit that fit, I tried on dozens, the women's were all too short :confused: (I am 5'9"), and too tight across the chest. My main problem is I am tall with a large bust, I could get men's farmer John's that fit, but never a jacket. They were always too baggy in the arms and across the chest. I went with a custom suit, after much hesitation, but in the end it was the best thing I did. It fits me great, was not much more expensive than an off the roack suit and I am much more confident now with a suit that fits well, is easy to get into and keeps me warm, no air pockets. I was very impressed witht he custom suit, I was worried it wouldn't fit up to the moment I tried it on. If you dive this is the way to go, no more ill fitting men's rental suits for me. :cheer:

My suit is an Oceaner, 7mm 2 peice.

:scuba: :band2:

I had to get registered and post just so I could give my vote for Aquaflite. His suits and customer service cannot be beat.

He returns calls until 9:00 PM Eastern Time.
He guarantees all his seams for life. (I did rip a seam...and he replaced the whole panel rather than "patch it up"!)
The suit is the most comfortable, warmest thing I've been in.

I just ordered a 3mil with the "oceanliner" inside to complement my 7mil w/farmer john jacket.

Check out aquaflite.com, or call him. You won't be sorry.

(I'd recommend getting the optional ankle zippers.... and put the suit on wet! ... trust me.)

Update: I originally found this thread via a google search, and just noticed that it's in the women's forum. .... please forgive. :confused:

I have Aquaflite custom suits in 3 mm and 6.5 mm. The 3 mm is showing all kinds of wear and tear after 1 year- seams coming undone, etc. I have only worn it on 3 vacation trips. The 6.5 mm fits well but still is like typical wetsuit to get on.
I decided to get a 5mm Henderson Hyperstrect after reading a lot of positive things here on the board. I wear a size 12 in it- and I am about a size 16 in street clothes. The Henderson fits me like a glove but has stretch and room for the chest (bigger than a 16). It is a snap to fit into and you can bend over, squat down, touch your toes. There is no comparison to anything else I have tried on or own.
I ordered Hyperstretch from LeisurePro online, they overnighted it, I had ordered the wrong size. As I sent that one back, I already had the replacement (correct size) trying it on. Great price for a great suit!
Plan on getting 3 mm and 6.5 mm Henderson Hyperstretches if budget allows it :)
Diana

Try

http://www.nrsweb.com/

They have a wet suit selection wich includes extender tabs for farmer johns and "Grizzly Size" for shorter and larger men.

I'm a women, plus size, I am 5' 7" and wear an 18W top (i.e. fuller top) and I wear a Grizzly medium jacket. For the bottom, I am a 18 "misses" [not women's as the fir is slimmer] bottom or XXL unisex sized johnnie.

I am sure that the Grizzly Johnnie would be fuller and shorter in the legs.

When I dive in Cozumel, I wear a 1mm full suit from Divers' Direct men's XL with a back zip which doesn't fit perfectly but in Cozumel waters your mainly after "critter" protection.

I too am a newbie and had a tough time at my OW due to wearing a mens 3mm XXL that was too tight in the chest and too big in the arms & legs, along with that I wore a mens 3 mm XXL shortie with the same problems. When we went down to 50+ feet and the water got cold, it just washed thru from the neck which was way too large despite the hood, etc. I am interested in the Henderson hyperstretch and also had the Parkway stretch recommended. I was told by others that due to the stretch they would get thinner where they stretched and not provide enough warmth? Anyone know if this is really true? I am considering getting a 7mm full suit and a hooded vest for underneath as I am in upstate NY. Also, I was told that the Henderson would pill with use on the surface? any opinions or advice from those with experience out there?

You really need to talk to Carolyn @ www.liquidfit.com I got one of their superstretch suits (same as hyperstretch). I've got to tell you that it is the most comfortable suit I've ever worn. I elected to get the zippers that come right below the knee. I quite literally, just step in the suit and zip the legs.

The ordering process was not difficult at all. Carolyn, was on the phone with me the entire time we were doing the measuring.

Hope you find the suit that fits you perfectly

lorien once bubbled...
I too am a newbie and had a tough time at my OW due to wearing a mens 3mm XXL that was too tight in the chest and too big in the arms & legs, along with that I wore a mens 3 mm XXL shortie with the same problems. When we went down to 50+ feet and the water got cold, it just washed thru from the neck which was way too large despite the hood, etc. I am interested in the Henderson hyperstretch and also had the Parkway stretch recommended. I was told by others that due to the stretch they would get thinner where they stretched and not provide enough warmth? Anyone know if this is really true? I am considering getting a 7mm full suit and a hooded vest for underneath as I am in upstate NY. Also, I was told that the Henderson would pill with use on the surface? any opinions or advice from those with experience out there?

As a male who uses Hyperstrech wetsuits (unfortunately for the advice giving, I am normal male size), I will only comment on the "pilling" issue. Yes, my 3 mm jumpsuit does that somewhat, but it is not severe enough to affect the thermal properties. This may or may not pertain to the fact that I primarily use it in the pool to assist with classes and that it sees alot of chlorine.

My 7mm and the ones that my dive buddies use don't exhibit this issue or the all black color scheme hides it more effectively. I don't use my 7mm anymore as I dive dry in cold water, but it saw a season of use with almost no sign of wear before I went to my drysuit.

Oh, BTW, the ladies at the shop who I assist in classes seem to love the Hyperstrech suits. There is no comparison to fitting a lady into a Henderson or a "traditional" (read: Pain in the hind end) suit.

Good luck with whichever route you choose. I am sure that the ladies here won't steer you wrong.

I agree 110% about Liquidfit! I priced out a Henderson Hyperstretch and by the time I got wrist and ankle zippers put in and the legs shortened, the cost of the Henderson was about $50 more than a custom from Carolyn.

She does GREAT work and Im getting ready to order my second suit from her!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom