Help finding a CDC or two

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you wanted to do it all in the us at one place, padi course director Phillip Yersin at EASE in Vero Beach, FL would be a good choice. He will train you to high standards. They do the course at a facility that includes a classroom and bunk rooms. They have a large pool in the back of the house. Everything is very convenient.

You can pretty much stay and eat what ever is in the freezer and refrigerator for free. There is also a grocery store next door.

since they have a large influx of students and instructor candidates, it is easy to perform all of the requirements up to idc staff.

I am trying to compile a list from PADI's site, but that isnt the easiest to navigate.
With what are you having problems? The consumer-facing PADI site has a filter for Instructor Development Centers, world-wide, and lists 115, with a map.
Please note that you are very likely to end up working in the kind of area where you have been trained, because you know how to do those kinds of dives and your network will build outwards from those contacts.
So, where do you want to work AFTER you finish your training, and what do you want to do? Teach OW? Teach specialties? Lead dives? Run a dive shop? Captain a boat? Frankly, if you can't answer these kinds of questions then going and getting a lot of training, at some arbitrary place in the world, is kind of a shot in the dark. Most folks learn the answers to the questions by taking it a step at a time, and getting lots of experience diving and being in an instructional setting....not by just taking classes.

If you wanted to do it all in the us at one place, padi course director Phillip Yersin at EASE in Vero Beach, FL would be a good choice. He will train you to high standards. They do the course at a facility that includes a classroom and bunk rooms. They have a large pool in the back of the house. Everything is very convenient.

You can pretty much stay and eat what ever is in the freezer and refrigerator for free. There is also a grocery store next door.

since they have a large influx of students and instructor candidates, it is easy to perform all of the requirements up to idc staff.

Thanks for the information. I will look into it.

Thanks for the long reply but not seeing any school information in the response.

He answered your question in the first paragraph:

-Search PADI in Google
-Select Dive Shop Locator
-Put your desired location in the location field
-Go to ‘Filters’ and select ‘Instructor Development Centers’

I put in Key Largo. It pulled up a whole slew of them. Ex. Rainbow Reef.

He didn’t give you a list of schools because per his post, there’s no point without knowing the location you want to work. Ex. What’s the point of doing all of your training and completing dozens of dives in Key Largo if you’re wanting to work in California? They are two completely different diving environments.

Where do you want to work and live? What exactly do you want to teach? Answer those questions and you’ll get some relevant school information.

Thanks for the long reply but not seeing any school information in the response.
Really? I gave you access to 115 places....."The consumer-facing PADI site has a filter for Instructor Development Centers, world-wide, and lists 115, with a map."

Hey, it's like you come on a forum and ask people, "What should I have for dinner?" People tend to do two things: (1) tell what what THEY like, or (2) ask you what kind of food you like, are you allergic to anything, what's your budget, etc.

So you come on and say you want to know where to go become an IDC Staff Instructor. Right. The implication is that you want to actually work and function as an IDC Staff Instructor. Good luck with that. It implies you can network your way into a position at some place that can actually afford to have you on staff (there are VERY FEW places like this). Or, that you work for a dive shop somewhere, almost certainly part-time while making a living doing something else, and occasionally (once or twice a year at most shops) get to be part of an IDC. So you need a real job too, not just a card that says you are an IDC Staff Instructor. I've got one of those cards (required to become a Master Instructor) and it is pretty much worthless without being connected to a shop....either the LDS kind of place with a CD on staff (often the owner) or at some diploma mill kind of place that churns out students....common in Asia.

You need to sit back and actually think about what you are trying to achieve. If it is to get that card for personal satisfaction, fine, go for it. But don't worry about where you got it. Go someplace cheap and fun and collect the card. if it is for part-time work during your career doing something else, fine, go for it, but go someplace that is not cheap and easy because you really DO want to learn something, not just collect a card. If it is because of a fantasy about being a full-time dive instructor teaching instructor candidates, listen to the advice people are giving you. You will likely spend most of your time teaching OW and AOW and a few specialties, and very little time teaching instructors.

So, please answer some questions -- which you may not have thought about and/or may not like the answers. By the way, I'm all for trying to live your dream...but please distinguish between a dream and a fantasy.

The first response was a correct response to the question asked. The second response and yours are not responses to the question. I asked for a recommendation on school and even listed some things that I am looking for. If I am having an issue finding one through the resource that is available then assistance ad recommendations is what I am looking for not some ones directions on how to use a web site or their thoughts on where I should go. Makes me wonder about peoples reading comprehension. One guy read it and got it. Why is it so hard for others?

So you want people to provide recommendations for schools that may or may not be relevant to you based upon your (unstated) desired location and what you want to teach? That sounds like a great use of everyone’s time.

Edit: “nevermind.” Lol.

It’s not possible to provide useful feedback based upon the lack of detail that you provided. You can get mad about the responses all you want. We were just trying to help you out.

Nevermind because it can never be a simple question and answer.
What school would you recommend, based on your experience, where I could do the following at:
One person got it made a recommendation.
Why is that hard to do? I just dont get it.
If you dont have one then fine say so but shesh talk about going off the deep end on things.
So yeah. Nevermind. Wont ask anything ever again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom