Help "figuring out" cenote diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

Some friends and I are looking at a Cozumel trip in February. I'd love to dive some cenotes while I'm there if possible.

I'm an expert diver with a decent amount of overhead environment experience including wreck penetration, but my friends don't have this. Since it may be relevant in a moment, I'll mention general levels of experience for them. Note that all have good overall fitness and are competent, conscientious divers.
  1. Advanced O/W with about 50 dives including exterior of the Yukon wreck in San Diego and dry suit with whales in Norway. Adventurous but can also be a bit timid about things on occasion. Almost always happy they did the experience after initial hesitation, if any.
  2. Advance O/W with about 75 dives. Very adventurous and aggressive about diving. Yukon wreck, lots of night and hunting dives, not really afraid of anything. I mentioned cenote diving to them and the experience gave them a little pause because of overhead and potential for silt outs. Still interested in going.
  3. Diver 3 is basically the same as diver 2.

So with all of us in mind, I'm wondering:

1. Are there any requirements in Mexico that divers must have certain experience before diving cenotes?
  2. Is it mandatory to get a certification while diving the cenotes if divers don't have the relevant experience or certification? In other words, would we just be spending our time training instead of mostly diving for fun?
  3. Are there locations which are more suited to divers new to this environment? I'd probably prefer to avoid cenotes with relatively narrow passages for their comfort.
  4. Can my friends dive in their open water gear, which includes things like air-integrated seconds? Or will they be expected to use 5- and 7-foot hose configurations and the like?

As an aside, is there any gear that you absolutely recommend we bring from home? I haven't been super impressed with rental gear around the world, and I'm assuming Mexico is no different.

If anyone has any additional suggestions or experience with these sorts of things I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm referring to mainland cenotes in this instance, not any on Cozumel itself.

Last edited:
1. There are no minimum requirements for diving cenotes.
2. You are not required to get cavern certification (or anything else).
3. There is a wide range of the cenotes used for this sort of thing. Some are very benign, and some are more challenging. Find a good operator and get advice.
4. Open water gear is the norm for these dives.

I always try to bring all my own gear on dive trips, other than the obvious tanks and weights.

There's a difference between cave diving and cavern diving in the cenotes. The popular tourist cenotes will have a circuit where open water gear and divers can enjoy a series of 'swim throughs' where you're will within the light zone and OW or AOW is the only cert needed with a guide. The cavern training is excellent, I'd recommend it, but not an absolute prerequisite for some of the cenotes.

... Full cave training is amazing as well... But that's another topic.

Rental equipment depends on the shop, some have quality equipment and prepare for a premium priced service. Bring what you can.

Enjoy!... You may find them addictive.
Cameron

Certainly haven't done cavern dives in all the cenotes, but of the 7 or 8 I've seen, "silt out" isn't an issue. You may run into thermocline or halo-cline, which makes everything look blurry while you go through it, but I've never really seen any particulate in the water.

Another question on gear. Would tanks and weights be provided?
What is the average cost for diving at cenotes? Is it a single or two tank dive?
Thanks.

I believe the "popular tourist cenotes" that the guides take OW divers to essentially cannot be silted out. Gin-clear water. No narrow passages.

All that said, this sticky is worth a read (which is why it's a sticky): A word to the wise on cenote diving

What is the average cost for diving at cenotes? Is it a single or two tank dive?
Thanks.

I'm guessing if you click on the CenoteXperience link in post #4, they have prices listed. I'm sure they provide tanks and weights. When I did some cenote dives I didn't use any dive shop--I used a private guide, who obtained (from some shop he's affiliated with) the tanks, weights, and even offered lights if I had needed them, picked me up and dropped me off at my lodging, etc. We did four dives in a day, with a lunch break in the middle. It's Mexico--whatever you want to do as far as scheduling your day can probably be arranged if you ask.

Thanks.

Very cursory research I've done is a "yes" to all of the above. You can rent everything or you can bring everything. You can hire guides to do one or more dives per day, including transit between sites. Prices seem to be roughly $75-200 for one to two dives depending on the site(s).

Guiding divers in cenotes is a thriving and highly competitive business in that area. It is an extremely popular tourist activity, and the dive shops are doing all they can to support that market. Contact almost any Yucatan dive operation, and they will be set up for cenotes.

Back
Top Bottom