Help End Shark Finning and the sale of Shark Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could someone please explain to me what the eradication of theparticular type of shark whose fin is on the menu would effect the ocean ecosystem other than, with their demise, an abundance of the types of fish they eat, for the rest of us to enjoy, and fewer one-legged human beings.

For the sake of providing you with some factual information, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are actually seeking some facts about this issue:

http://na.oceana.org/sites/default/...oads/Sharks/Predators_as_Prey_FINAL_FINAL.pdf

Could someone please explain to me what the eradication of theparticular type of shark whose fin is on the menu would effect the ocean ecosystem other than, with their demise, an abundance of the types of fish they eat, for the rest of us to enjoy, and fewer one-legged human beings.

:confused:

Eco system. The key word is system. Everything is interrelated to one another. Millions of years of equilibrium delivered what you see around you. Eradicating something for the system can have detrimental effects. Kind of like eliminating the brake lines from your automobile system might have an effect on the rest of the automobile when it causes the car to smash into a tree.

It's good you're asking questions, you have a lot to learn about. If you're truly interested you will find out about how a eco system works, you'll look into how large species like sharks effect the eco system, you'll look into that it's not one particular shark, you'll look into the very basic principal of waste, how harvesting 1% of a animal and disposing of the rest might not be a great thing to do...

There's a lot for you to find out about

Look this thread was started by someone who cares about conservation, about something other than themselves, if you are interested in helping then great if not then don't. Seems like some posters are being deliberately antagonistic. If you're not interested in the cause then why bother posting? For those who are "genuinely interested" or seeking more information please take the time to read the links that have been provided and if you're still are not interested then move onto another thread and leave this to those who wish to continue in the intended spirit.

Actually, it will probably result in FEWER fish for the rest of us to enjoy.

When ecosystems lose apex predators they tend to collapse.

Making the aquisition and sales of shark fins, just like rhino horn, elephant tusks, marijuana, etc., and passing legislation with fines and prison terms for possession, use and sales only creates a black market, extremely high prices for the product, creates interest and fuels crime plus puts money in the wrong pockets, in other word criminals and law enforcement. It ain't going away so forget it. (This from your ignorant and arrogant reporter.)

First, wow. No words for the ignorance, I am only choosing to reply to this post of yours, as others have already explained how ignorant your other posts are. A) Marijuana isn't nearly in the same category as murdering endangered species for one . B) Making something illegal doesn't instantly make it more popular. Perhaps it can't be stopped but it can be slowed and maybe allow the endangered sharks to repopulate. Also, if it exists on the black market - and there is no doubt it would fetch high prices and be sought after. It makes it more difficult to get a hold of and thus helps in the slowing of the industry. The other issue is getting the ball rolling on making it socially unacceptable.

I watched Sharkwater a few months ago and I am happy that this issue keeps gaining publicity. I am all for signing petitions and I just hope that we have the ability to save most, if not all of the species affected. I still want to see this documentary but it's still doing it's film festival rounds This is Your Ocean: Sharks - Official Site

I can't find "Sharkwater" available for free online, except in 10-minute pieces at Youtube. If anyone has an interest, the first segment is here ...

Sharkwater Part 1 of 9 - YouTube

Shark fining has been banned in the US since 2002. Ironically while fining is illegal, shark fin soup is not. I know of no one who likes the bland soup. Shark is not a good eating animal. CA is looking to outlaw the soup, and its not good for you.

"Sharks can have more mercury than any other fish because they are at the top of the food chain, can live for 50 years or more, eat many fish during that lifetime, and continue to store mercury in their bodies during that time. When we eat shark fin soup, a lifetime's accumulation of mercury is absorbed into our body."

If you want to have an impact you need to do so in Asia. Taking action in the US is like dumping a glass of water on a Volcano. BTW, lets not forget about the worlds #1 fish consumer... Japan. I like fish but what I eat is nothing compared to the Japanese. Hmm, we have a number of issues...

MMMMM, mercury. I was raised along the Ohio river downstream of Pittsburg on the Ohio side. My parents were Catholics so that meant fish on Fridays. We always ate catfish from the river, supposedly fish with the highest mercury content in the country in those days. Mom lived to be 89, the old man 84 and her five sisters in their late 80's are all still going. Grammy died at 94. Grampa made it to 77 but he was gassed two times in WWI so his health was always a problem. I'm 72 and have two bros and two sissies between 67 and 75, none of us having any major health problems to speak of except the natural stuff that comes with age. With all that in mind, I don't think that a little mercury is all that bad for you.

Back
Top Bottom