Help deciding on HP Tank Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrobs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to diving and have all my gear except tanks. I am seriously considering spending the $800 or so on two HP tanks but am having a hard time deciding what to buy. I did a little figuring on my spread sheet and have figured the following out given that I am diving with my dry suit and need 18lbs with an Al80 tank.

Tank Weights Tank Weight Total Weight Pre Dive Post Dive
Al80 18 31.4 49.4 -6 Neutral
HP80 11 28 39 -6 Neutral
HP100 11 33 44 -7.5 Neutral
HP120 12 38 50 -9 Neutral

Basically if my math is correct and I looked the data up correctly on the internet, the total dry land weight with the HP120 is pretty much the same as with the Al80, but I sink really fast and have 1.5 times the bottom time. With and HP80 I have a dry land wieght of 10lbs less than with an AL80 but no other advantage. With an HP100 I weigh about 5lbs less on dry land than with an Al80 and will have 25% more bottom time.

So if I have to interpret this data, I would say that the HP120 is the best bet becuase I will be the same wieght on dry land, and have more bottom time.

Am I right, the HP120 looks like the best tank for the $ given it is only $100.00 more than the HP80 and $40 more than the HP100. Disregarding $ is there any real advantage to HP80 or HP100 that I have missed.

Thanks in advance.

There is no arguing that CF per dollar the HP 120 is the best HP buy.

Extra air is great as long as your buddy has comparable runtime. I use the term runtime because the reality of it is a combination of available gas and consumption rate.

Diving a bigger cylinder will by definition consume a little more air so to a slight extent it is self defeating.

If weight on your feet such as for shore dives with signifigant entry and exit walks is a concern you can't beat the HP80.

This may be helpful

Pete

The HP 119's are nice, short and hold lots of gas, but they're 8" diameter tanks.

The HP 100's are really sweet.

the K

I would have to suggest a HP130. It is a beautiful tank. When I started looking at tanks I was considering the 120. When I saw how long it was, and that extra bit of air, I went with the 130.

Cheers,
Bill.

Good suggestion, L/F . . .

The HP 130's are also 8" diameter tanks. They are very close in size to the HP 119's but just a little bit heavier.

But there is the matter of an extra 10 cubic feet of gas.

the K

I think the HP100 is the way to go. My dive buddy probably won't have the steel tanks and will be stuck with Al80 rentals. So with the HP100 I get the extra air, same physical size as the Al80 and less total weight. Seems like a win, win, win for me. The 130s would have so much air that I would be wanting more bottom time when my buddy is ready to go up.

Also because most of the wreck diving here in Ontario is pretty deep >60' I suspect my bottom time will be more limited by N2 absorption than by air consumption. On an 80cf tank I have been able to get 50 min. at 50' and at 100' I had 900psi after 20min. (no-decompression limit) at 100'. As such my guess is the 100cf meets my needs best.

Thanks for the help, I really hadn't considered the extra length and the fact that my buddy probably will limit my time once I have a larger volume tank.

HP100's are quite popular for wreck diving around here, I see a lot of them find their way onto our dive boat. If you want to try before you dive, the shop that I deal with, has both HP80, and HP100's in rental. We run charters in Lake Erie around the Long Point area.

I might look at a HP130....nice for single tank diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom