HELP - Check out Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dd64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver and me and my 16 yr old son will be doing our check out dive April 19-20 at Panama City Florida. The problem is all this pollen has finally took it's toll. We dove yesterday in pool and had some trouble clearing our ears. Can anyone suggest anything that will help with our sinuses. We have been taken sudafed but are still clogged up.

Thanks in advance !!!!

Dale in Alabama

I have 3 children, ages 11, 14, and 16. My oldest has terrible allergic rhinitis. I prescribed immunotherapy (allergy injections), clorpheneramine (a decongestant), and antibiotics all to no avail! Although our instructor recommended oral decongestants I was not comfortable prescribing them for many reasons. Namely, such practice places a diver for a reverse block upon ascent.

Jala Neti is an ancient technique predating written history and is a daily practice for Yoga masters. It has found acceptance in Western medicine too. The technique is known by Western medicine as nasal or sinus lavage.

After teaching my own children on the technique, equalization is easier for them. For my oldest son, he much prefers Jala Neti over his Father's comments about his nasal 'slurping' during supper.

Although the standard 1/2 teaspoon of non iodinized salt w/ a pinch of baking soda mixed in 8 ounces of water will get you started with Jala Neti, it's not my preferred mix. If you are interested, I'll share my personal experience and journey trying to find a 'diver's' lavage solution.

Hi dd64,

The following is a piece by me that appeared in the Mar '08 issue of Undercurrent. It describes a simple and benign treatment that might prove of benefit.

"Shooting Saltwater Up Your Nose

Is your nose stuffed up enough that diving isn’t appealing, or even to the point where congestion may dangerously interfere with equalization of the ears?

It may sound a bit zany and gross, but the evidence, both published and anecdotal, largely supports the salubrious effects of saline irrigation on both nasal membrane drying and congestion (e.g., from long airplane flights, breathing hyper-dry scuba gasses and allergens). Such irrigation shrinks the mucus blanket and flushes out the excess, reducing nasal irritation and swelling.

There are scores of salt-based OTC nasal washes on the market such as Sinucleanse, BreathEase and an array of NeilMed products. Many come with a soft syringe. Or you can purchase special tips that attach to oral hygiene devices (e.g., the WaterPik NA-2Gentle Sinus Rinse).

Many divers choose a simple home remedy that is cheaper and works just as well. Boil two cups of tap water for 10 minutes, stir in one teaspoon of salt (refined sea salt is recommended to avoid additives) and one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Adding more salt than recommended can do more harm than good, so don’t overdo it.

After the brew has cooled to lukewarm, draw it into a clean nasal or ear syringe until full, then lean over the sink, squeeze gently and allow the solution to run through the nasal passages. Sniff it in, spit it out, then gently blow your nose. Repeat with the second nostril. Again, don’t overdo it - - one or two treatments a day should be sufficient.

And go make your next dive.

- - Doc Vikingo"

If Neti sounds nifty, scroll about 2/3rds of the way down the following page and check out the NasaFlo™Neti Pot (NeilMed Products - Sinus Rinse, Nasal Rinse, Sinusitis, Rhinitis, Allergies).

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

In addition to the info provided by the esteemed DocV, also see 40 minute or so vid in my sig on equalizing....

Back
Top Bottom