Help - Buying Regulator in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DontLieToMe

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to buy a new first stage in Singapore. Can someone recommend a couple of stores. I will be staying on Orchard Road.

If you want to walk, try the basement of Lucky Plaza. There are three small independant scuba stores (for the moment) that have a variety of regs. Of those places, I prefer dealing with Charlie at the "Paris Store".

DontLieToMe:
I need to buy a new first stage in Singapore. Can someone recommend a couple of stores. I will be staying on Orchard Road.

I would recommend Americ at Parklane Plaza, Selegie Road.
Eric, the owner is a very experienced tech (some 30 years) and is extremely knowledgeable on different regs. I was introduced to him some 20 years ago by another customer and now we are good friends !!!

Parklane is within walking distance of Orchard road or a short taxi ride away.

...but at any of the places mentioned, know your product and be prepared to negotiate. Eric once sold me a crap SPG that flooded on the first trip. I cursed myself when it happened assuming I had messed up something when I put it on my first stage. When I saw him later, I mentioned it too him and he said "every SPG in that batch was bad, that's why I gave you a good price". I don't buy anything from him anymore but that should not stop you if you want to - just know your gear well. If you do go there though, you now don't need to ask why he has that scar on his forehead that is in the shape of an SPG. :wink:

I have been a customer of Americ and Eric for close to 20 years and have always found him to be good technically and very responsible.
I find it difficult to believe that any retailer would reply in the manner which you have posted. If a batch was faulty or and item was faulty, the retailer can easily return the item under warranty rather than take a loss by selling cheap and having to deal with complaints.
By the way I take it that the 'scar ont the forehead" is another exaggeration as he doesn't have a scar on his forehead !!! Seems to me that you simply do not like the guy for some personal reason.

Of course the scar on the forhead is a joke. That's what the winking smiley face says.

The rest of the post, however, is 100% accurate. BTW, at least I gave him credit for being honest. In fact, he was so up front about it when I went back to see him, I'm sure he would confirm to you what I said too. He didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with it since he gave me "such a good discount". Other than I think that's a lousy excuse for unloading a crap SPG, I have nothing against the guy.

Whether or not you received a good discount, the item must have been covered under warranty. Did you get the item replaced or substituted ?

I onced purchased 6 Suunto Alpha dive computers from him for my friends and all of them packed up just after after warranty. All of them were taken back despite being past warranty and were given a fantastic deal to upgrade to the Solution.

In anycase we are in danger of hijacking this thread.

I understand that Charlie (Paris at Lucky plaza) is closing down his store and so there may be good deals to be had.

tzeyap:
Whether or not you received a good discount, the item must have been covered under warranty. Did you get the item replaced or substituted ?

I onced purchased 6 Suunto Alpha dive computers from him for my friends and all of them packed up just after after warranty. All of them were taken back despite being past warranty and were given a fantastic deal to upgrade to the Solution.

In anycase we are in danger of hijacking this thread.

I understand that Charlie (Paris at Lucky plaza) is closing down his store and so there may be good deals to be had.

Hi tzeyap,

Wow! Didn't know that Charlie's planning to shut his store... real pity tho'. I purchased my 1st reg setup from his store abt a year back and it was a pleasure doing business with him. He's honest and doesn't try any of those hardselling tactics I'd experienced elsewhere (e.g. when all I wanted was a back-inflate BC and had to put up with all that smooze abt backplates and all).

Back to the original post... Paris at Lucky Plaza is a good place to check out dive gear (they carry most brands and have got quite a good range). Alternatively, you may wish to check out the 2 shops located at The Concourse (located downtown... cab ride away from Orchard Rd) - Oceanic and Waikiki. Oceanic carries Oceanic and Zeagle, while Waikiki has a relatively wider range.

If I understand you correctly, you're looking at getting only a 1st stage? If so, you might have a hard time getting one 'cos most shops tend to sell it together with the 2nd stages as well. But still, it's worth checking out the shops here... never know when you'll be lucky

AC Boy:
Hi tzeyap,

Wow! Didn't know that Charlie's planning to shut his store... real pity tho'. I purchased my 1st reg setup from his store abt a year back and it was a pleasure doing business with him. He's honest and doesn't try any of those hardselling tactics I'd experienced elsewhere (e.g. when all I wanted was a back-inflate BC and had to put up with all that smooze abt backplates and all).

Back to the original post... Paris at Lucky Plaza is a good place to check out dive gear (they carry most brands and have got quite a good range). Alternatively, you may wish to check out the 2 shops located at The Concourse (located downtown... cab ride away from Orchard Rd) - Oceanic and Waikiki. Oceanic carries Oceanic and Zeagle, while Waikiki has a relatively wider range.

If I understand you correctly, you're looking at getting only a 1st stage? If so, you might have a hard time getting one 'cos most shops tend to sell it together with the 2nd stages as well. But still, it's worth checking out the shops here... never know when you'll be lucky

Yeap , it a little sad .Charlie is a great guy. I have known him since long before he took over Paris. They offer a good range for selection and at very reasonable prices. One little reservation I have for certain equipment is that they do not do service themselves.

For regs and service, I go to Americ.

By the way I'm not the one looking to buy the 1st. stage. It is actually 'Don't Lie to Me' who posted this thread.

You are right in that it might be a little difficult to just buy the first stage or may end up having to pay more.

If anyone is interested, I have good condition used 1st. stages which I would sell if offer is reasonable.

1. Scubapro MK20
2. Scubapro MK25

I will throw in a brand new annual service repair kit with each.
I have upgraded my gear to titanium. PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom