Help! Big Ooops on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.......on a liveaboard, with tanks being filled “on station”, yeah, a permanent tank mount is fine.

I have indeed used “duct tape” and also huge cable ties. Most recently, on the AquaCat, i used 550 paracord and lashed it into place. On is on.
This right here..... ☝️

Reactions: Doc
This might be totally dumb, but could you just carry it like a stage bottle and wiggle some extra air on the tank side of the wing to offset the lopsided buoyancy? I'm sure you already considered that given your experience...But I figured it was worth a shot. I'd have to imagine it would be easier to round up some bolt snaps and paracord and jerry rig a stage setup on the cylinder than trying to remedy a STA.

Curious on your thoughts as to whether this would work or not?

Hope you find some decent wine and enjoy your trip!! It's always so interesting to me that the jacket bcd community assume technical divers are burdened by their setups and that "it would be so much more freeing" to simply jump into a jacket. Me personally, I have hated jacket bcds since the first time I set foot in the pool. I switched to BPW on dive number 6 and I've never looked back. I'd rather be in my bpw than any jacket system on the market. To me, the bpw is freeing. I feel bad for you, if I was in your shoes I'd be miserable!

Seth

For many years I taught OW classes in the jacket BCDs required by the shop and taught tech in a BP/W. I can handle a jacket BCD just fine.

For many years I taught OW classes in the jacket BCDs required by the shop and taught tech in a BP/W. I can handle a jacket BCD just fine.

Once again demonstrating that it is never the equipment, but the person using the gear that is important.

Once again demonstrating that it is never the equipment, but the person using the gear that is important.

There is a difference between diving something that is preferable versus being able to dive any setup. I can dive a jacket, I just don't want to. I'm not, and I don't believe anyone is, saying that John isn't capable of diving with ANY setup lol.

Seth

There is a difference between diving something that is preferable versus being able to dive any setup. I can dive a jacket, I just don't want to. I'm not, and I don't believe anyone is, saying that John isn't capable of diving with ANY setup lol.

Seth
@SetheryJ. I did not say, or think, anyone who knows, or just reads John's inputs on this board could possibly think he could not handle any dive gear configuration, or figure out work arounds for pop up problems. If you felt I was criticizing your post, that was not intended, and was just musing how pros like John, and many others on this board, can perform perfectly no matter what equipment they are using. Those are skills and experience I will never attain.

@SetheryJ. I did not say, or think, anyone who knows, or just reads John's inputs on this board could possibly think he could not handle any dive gear configuration, or figure out work arounds for pop up problems. If you felt I was criticizing your post, that was not intended, and was just musing how pros like John, and many others on this board, can perform perfectly no matter what equipment they are using. Those are skills and experience I will never attain.

No offense taken at all! We are saying the same things 😁

Thanks for all the help. I sent emails to Aggressor--nothing back so far.

CocoView is like an island unto itself, so I can't just step off and get a welder, so I will go with the rental this week. I think the fact that the person in charge of the dive shop did not know what an STA was is a sign that it is not a common piece of equipment among the guests. I will try the FaceBook page though.

I just got back from my first dinner at CocaView, where I ordered a cabernet sauvignon. It had totally turned--vinegar. The bartender just shrugged and said, "That's the kind of wine we carry. Sucks to be you." Well, he did not say "Sucks to be you," but there was no taking it back, either. I guess getting a glass of wine that has turned to vinegar is just my bad luck. I left the full glass of wine on the bar and left. That gives me a good sense of CocoView's concept of customer service and does not leave me optimistic for the rest of the week.
I do want to say that there are plenty of divers who frequent CoCoView that dive BP/W set-ups, but we generally don't need the people in the dive shop to help with our gear. I would not expect them to have parts for my techish gear. If you do need to leave the resort, say to go to one of the shops in West End that might have a STA for you, the office can arrange that.

Jackie

John, your best bet is to take a trip over to the west end and meet Will at Coconut tree divers. They might have a STA for you and you'd probably enjoy meeting Will anyways. He's a pretty knowledgeable and interesting guy.

Updates
  • The person running the CocoView equipment shop said she would check with operations that did tech on the island, and since she never got back to me, I assume that meant she got nothing.
  • The ScubaPro Glide is enormous. I feel as if I have an innertube around my waist. I need an huge amount of weight to sink.
  • With that enormous amount of weight evenly distributed in all 4 pockets, including trim, I have no trouble hovering in trim. It's a good thing, because that phrase describes the dives. Each DM-led dive has the same pattern. We spend about a half hour on a really nice reef, among the best I have seen in the Caribbean, occasionally dipping deeper than 50 feet if the DM knows there is something worth that risk down that deep, and then head back to the base of the mooring line and hang out for another half hour or so. On those dives, I have not yet finished with a SurfGF higher than 16, so the DCS danger is minimal.
  • I got a note, printed in what looked like 21-point, bold type, telling me that if I did not approve of the brand of wine they offered, I should tell them some brands I would find acceptable and they would get a bottle or two for my exclusive use. Since I did not mention the wine incident to anyone outside our group, someone must have told them that I am some kind of a wine snob who won't touch certain brands. I wrote back that I would be perfectly happy with any typical house wine, as long as it has not started to turn to vinegar. I did not get a reply from that. I have not ordered wine since then, which is actually my common practice in the tropics, where it is all too common to find spoiled wine.

Back
Top Bottom