Help: Best Fit for DM Program in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phizly

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to do a DM program somewhere in the mid-July to end of September time frame. I have around 30 logged dives and have completed training through rescue diver. I have dove in calmer waters in the Caribbean (Ambergris Caye and Roatan) and in some more difficult waters in Galapagos and Manuel Antonio CR.

The MOST important thing to consider for the location of the DM program is that I absolutely need reliable internet connection in my room. Ideally a wired connection as to not have to worry about wireless issues such as router constantly resetting. I know this sounds ridiculous but without it the trip is not possible. I am fortunate enough to work from the computer but need to be able to remote into my work PC, not simply check email and skype home. I have had to cut visits to different locations short because I get assured that there is wired broadband before arrival only to find out I'm lucky to have wifi 30% of the time. I am willing to pay extra for the accommodations or the broadband itself.

Now for the fun stuff... In order of importance for the DM program and location:

1) Great Instructors / Shop / Course - I really want to learn the material and skills rather than enter into a program that will simply push you through to pass you.
2) Great Diving - Belize and Roatan were perfect diving conditions as far as I am concerned. Plenty of marine life, beautiful calm warm waters, and crystal clear visibility. Galapagos was great but the conditions do wear on you. Being in the water as often as with a DM program to me seems like it would add a lot more stress and exhaustion day to day.
3) People - I will be on my own for this program so being able to mingle with other people with similar interest is key. I am 27 and enjoy going out partying but it doesn't need to be huge night clubs (actually prefer pubs and beach bars) or the like.
4) Other Activities - Beginner surfing or kite boarding, land based tourism, etc for days when I am not diving.

I already posted this to the General Asia board and have not received any suggestions so the search is expanding. I would like to keep it somewhat opposite the US time zones schedule so that I can be diving in the mornings and then working mid afternoon to around midnight or so during the week if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Back
Top Bottom