Help! Bare 5/4 full vs 3/2 full w/ 3mm vest??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypnoj

New
Reaction score
I'm heading to Florida Springs next month and need a wetsuit. Most all of my diving will be in temperate water (60 to 80 degrees) I've spent several hours researching what to bring with no clear concensus. I'm sure I can handle cold water better than most (from Alberta Canada) and I've heard good arguements on several set-ups, so let the voting begin!!
Should I get a Bare Velocity 5/4 full or should I get a Bare Velocity 3/2 full with an additional vest and hood??
Please keep in mind bulk while traveling, bulk while diving, and all other concerns.
Do you recommend something better? I'm short (5'6) and fat (200 pounds) and Bare appears to have my correct size; no LDS's in my area.)

Jim

When I'm in Florida or the Bahamas I wear a 5/3 for 75 or so and under and a 3/2 for anything warmer. A beanie makes a big difference too.

Bare used to make a front zip 5/3 their ML fit me perfect (if you got a little warm you just unzipped and let some water in). Now they make the back zip 5/4. I tried it and it doesn't fit me right. I had to go to a different brand. I really liked the 5/3 front zip, wish they still made it.

I would say 60 degrees is 7mm territory, 70-78 is 5mm and above that 3mm. I don't think even someone that is warm blooded is going to get a lot of dive time out of a 3mm with a hooded vest at anything near 65 degree. You just have to decide where you are going to be doing most of your diving and then compromise or get two suits.

Beween a 3mm full with a hooded vest and a 5mm I would think the 5mm would be warmer overall.

Paul

pgdive:
I would say 60 degrees is 7mm territory, 70-78 is 5mm and above that 3mm. I don't think even someone that is warm blooded is going to get a lot of dive time out of a 3mm with a hooded vest at anything near 65 degree. You just have to decide where you are going to be doing most of your diving and then compromise or get two suits.

Beween a 3mm full with a hooded vest and a 5mm I would think the 5mm would be warmer overall.

Paul

Doesn't a 3/2 full with a 3 mm vest and hood give me a 6 mm core with a hood? Shouldn't that be warmer than a 5/4, or at least close to it? What about flexibility and comfort? Keep up the good input!

hypnoj:
I'm heading to Florida Springs next month and need a wetsuit. Most all of my diving will be in temperate water (60 to 80 degrees) I've spent several hours researching what to bring with no clear concensus. I'm sure I can handle cold water better than most (from Alberta Canada) and I've heard good arguements on several set-ups, so let the voting begin!!
Should I get a Bare Velocity 5/4 full or should I get a Bare Velocity 3/2 full with an additional vest and hood??
Please keep in mind bulk while traveling, bulk while diving, and all other concerns.
Do you recommend something better? I'm short (5'6) and fat (200 pounds) and Bare appears to have my correct size; no LDS's in my area.)

Jim

I have the Bare 5/4 Velocity and the Bare 3mm vest w/5mm hood. I have only used it for skin diving here in maine so keep in mind that I have not had it at depth.

My wife has a similar set-up by LiquidFit. We were very comfortable down to almost 55F. When it got down around 52F we were still OK for 90 minutes but while not cold the effects off heat loss were apparent. We would have gone a few more weeks but it was time to take care of leaves before the snow came. For both of us the "weak link" seemed to be the arms, torso and legs were very comfortable.

Thank being said I agree with prior posts to go 7mm for scuba diving.

We're in OW class now and getting 7mm full suits and hooded step-ins. We live in Maine. Drysuits are planned in the future.

Pete

In theory I guess, it would be about the same. I can't imagine only having 2mm of neoprene (In the arms and legs) between me and 65 degree water. I just think you are better erring on the side of two much neoprene than too little. Maybe get a 5mm with a hooded vest for the springs and a shorty for the tropical stuff.

Paul

I tried my 5/4 Velocity wetsuit for the first time today in 72 degree water in South
Florida. Teamed with a 2.5 mm hood/ .5mm vest I couldn't believe how warm I was.
The suit of course is well constructed but the comfort facor would be perfect for most Florida diving.

pgdive:
In theory I guess, it would be about the same. I can't imagine only having 2mm of neoprene (In the arms and legs) between me and 65 degree water. I just think you are better erring on the side of two much neoprene than too little. Maybe get a 5mm with a hooded vest for the springs and a shorty for the tropical stuff.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom