HELP: Aeris Atmos PRO AT-400 or Oceanic Alpha 8 w/PX2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BRG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Trying to decide on which set to go with. The Price difference is $10.00. The Alpha 8 costing $10 more than the Aeris. I know the Aeris is also owned by Oceanic, but which is the better package.

Thanks for any help you guys and gals could provide1

unless if you are getting them at a pretty good discount, neither is a good value at the msrp. the taiwanese made regs from hog/dive rite/deep 6 available online are the best bang for the buck when buying new currently.

if you prefer to buy from a LDS, wait for a sale at anywater sports or diver dans. you can also check out steele's discount scuba in oakland although it won't be the name brand stuff.

They are priced at $135 and $145 respectively.

So if I get the Oceanic then there would be no problem servicing if I decided to keep it.
It seems that the Aplha 8 is a pretty solid entry level regulator. It passed all the Navy Class A Standards. So, it seems at that price it would be a good starter(restarter) regulator as I have not been diving in a few years and when I do, I rent. I still have my original Scubapro Pilot, which of course is no longer working. That's how long it's been since I purchased new equipment

You will still be able to get aeris serviced. Between oceanic and Hollis equivalent kits, you should not have a problem in that respect at least for now.

If the aeris 400 bundle second stage is the one with the adjustment knob it is far superior to the alpha 8. It is not quite the same as the oceanic gt3 which is also way better than the alpha 8 or alpha 9. You have to use a Hollis kit on the adjustable aeris second stage 212 if I recall correctly.

The alpha 8/9 is more difficult to tune properly. This is inherent in the design which is about as basic as you can get.

If you want a good regulator and only want to pay once get an Atomic. Cheap man pays two or in my case three times sometimes. seaquest xr2 > oceanic gt3 / cdx5 -> atomic st1

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom