Helmets While Diving Anyone?

Have you Ever Worn a Helmet/Hardhat while Diving?

• Yes

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm particularly fond of helmets like the one pictured to the left.
The one I normally use is pictured in my profile, complete with a lot of scratches & a couple dents.

Using scuba I've been smacked in the head by an anchor only once. I doubt if a recreational helmet would've made much difference though.

For recreational diving, especially above coral reefs, why should one wear a helmet? It would create more drag and therefore be a drag.
It would be pretty daring for one to don a helmet among a boatload of recreational divers.:eek:ut:

If you do penatration on some wrecks IMHO I think it would be foolish to not use a helmet but to each their own. On some wrecks it isn't necessary. A lot of the older wrecks are rusty, jagged edged and falling apart. For recreatational dives on reefs, etc. I can't see that a helmet would be of very much benefit at all.

I would recommend a skull and crossbones type harley helmet. You could even get one of the funny guys with the point like Colonel Klink.

That would be awesome. Then you could exhale and drift slowly into the sea pen and not hurt yourself.

As a side note, I have bumped my head a few times in caves and a few times in wrecks. Hell, I've even bumped my head in the shower. They were all my fault.

The helmet at LeisurePro is is a Protec Full Cut whitewater helmet. It's completely unsuitable for "spelunking" - cavers wear climbing helmets with suspension systems and 4-point straps. Most people also consider that helmet to be pretty unsuitable for whitewater, too.. the plastic is very thin and the padding is minimal.

I can't really imagine a diving scenario where a helmet would be a good idea. I don't think I've ever been moving fast enough in the water where a head on collision with something would have caused me any injury through my hood (I've been caving with just a 7mm hood, and those things can take a fair amount of abuse :wink:).

Also, that helmet can be purchased for as little as $30.. with the Protec logo instead of the NiteRider.

As jonnythan said, a neoprene hood can take a lot of abuse - not to mention keeping your noggin warm!

Some of the divers who spearfish for big fish under the oil rigs here in Louisiana wear helmets. A big fish can drag you through a lot of pipes and other obstructions under these rigs.

Captain

For rec diving a simple bump cap is probably best.
These are sorta like a hard hat but thinner, lighter and closer fitting.

Anything like a real helmet is going to be a real pain while diving.

I have worked in a Superlite 17 and if I don't need the extra head protection I will take a FFM (full face mask) like the EXO-26 or if I don't need communications I will use standard scuba mask and reg, with a long hose for surface supply.

I once used a kids bicycle safety helmet that I pulled the styrofoam out of when I was diving a granite block jetty. The plastic shell was sufficiently rigid enough to ward off any light knocks I thought I might receive. I did this only as an extra precaution. Even though the waves pushed me around pretty hard I never actually hit my head on the granite. I still have the helmet for any similar situations.

Why stop at the helmet? Surely with modern technology it should be possible to manufacture lightweight body armour in Kevlar or carbon fiber for swimmers, surfists & divers. Laugh off shark attacks. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom