Hello!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGriff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I am currently learning how to dive (and loving it!). However, I am having difficulty with oral bcd inflation due to a partially repaired cleft palete. I ahvw tried multiple inflators but I simply cannot get enough air in the bladder, even when holding my nose. Is there a technique or something I could try to succeed?

I am not familiar with your situation, but with any other disability you just find a different solution. I would suggest a small argon bottle with an alternate inflation system. In the event oral inflation is required, just switch to your argon bottle and inflate. Most instructors work through medical issues with novel solutions, just don't get locked into something you may never be able to do. Diving is fun, keep it that way and find another solution.

To help us understand better, is the issue you can't seal onto the inflator to orally inflate? Like air leaks out your cleft palate as you're trying to blow into the BC? Or is it just lung strength, you can't blow hard enough but have a good seal on the inflator?

What ideas has your instructor tried so far?

As you're inflating your BC you'll have to fight more backpressure, like blowing up a party balloon.
Unlike a party balloon, you have some water depth trying to squeeze that air out.

You could try to kick your shoulders higher out of the water as you're blowing into the BC. This will slightly alleviate the backpressure so it takes less effort to blow in; however it is at the cost that you're essentially dolphin leaping up from the water, which isn't practical.

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I am currently learning how to dive (and loving it!). However, I am having difficulty with oral bcd inflation due to a partially repaired cleft palete. I ahvw tried multiple inflators but I simply cannot get enough air in the bladder, even when holding my nose. Is there a technique or something I could try to succeed?
I think this sounds very similar to the problems I have exhaling into the Choptima under a stressful situation… follow this website …. but the answer seems to be less trying to blow hard, more ambient exhaling.

To preface, I am a relatively new rebreather diver (only ~20 hours on the unit). On three distinct dives, with all three being more strenuous or task-intensive, I’ve had an issue where my nose will begin to “free flow” or “vent” on inhalation. My first reaction was to reduce loop volume. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem (even after sitting in position for 20 mins miserably). The only way to “solve” the issue is to hold my nose when I breathe. I’ve never experienced this same issue on OC under similar (or any) circumstances. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you solve it? What is causing it?

Post in thread 'Has anyone had a “free flowing” nose on a rebreather?'
Has anyone had a “free flowing” nose on a rebreather?

and his interesting article
https://clarinet.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Gibson-Palatal-Air-Leak.pdf

I'm not sure of the solution, but the following (if you confirm it) might clarify things for folks offering advice:

You try to exhale through your mouth into the BCD oral inflation mouthpiece. The air pushes through your palate into your nose and, ultimately, out your nose. (That's why you or the instructor thought pinching your nose would help.)

Does that sound about right?

Can you blow up a balloon on land? That is, does the cleft palate prevent you from doing this?

I'm not sure of the solution, but the following (if you confirm it) might clarify things for folks offering advice:

You try to exhale through your mouth into the BCD oral inflation mouthpiece. The air pushes through your palate into your nose and, ultimately, out your nose. (That's why you or the instructor thought pinching your nose would help.)

Does that sound about right?

Can you blow up a balloon on land? That is, does the cleft palate prevent you from doing this?
That is actually exactly what's going on. I can blow up a balloon on land, and with my nose pinched I am easily able to blow up a BCD on land, just in the water to force enough air into the mouthpiece, I not only have to pinch my nose but I also momentarily stop kicking, which causes me to sink.

Since I've made my post I technically got it but we're going to refine it or get a waiver when it's time for open water. Didn't stop a great dive trip and getting a PADI scuba diver certification, though.

That is actually exactly what's going on. I can blow up a balloon on land, and with my nose pinched I am easily able to blow up a BCD on land, just in the water to force enough air into the mouthpiece, I not only have to pinch my nose but I also momentarily stop kicking, which causes me to sink.

Since I've made my post I technically got it but we're going to refine it or get a waiver when it's time for open water. Didn't stop a great dive trip and getting a PADI scuba diver certification, though.
One way to do the oral inflation skill is to kick like crazy while inhaling and getting ready to blow, then relaxing as you exhale. Then kick like crazy again for the next inhale. A lot of divers without a deviated septum use this approach. Of course, that depends on your not being overweighted to start with....

One way to do the oral inflation skill is to kick like crazy while inhaling and getting ready to blow, then relaxing as you exhale. Then kick like crazy again for the next inhale. A lot of divers without a deviated septum use this approach. Of course, that depends on your not being overweighted to start with....
Back for an update, had a pool session the other day and I was finally able to get the skill nailed down! I was holding my nose while exhaling into my bcd, but this time I also tried holding my nose while inhaling to get a larger initial breath, which helped me stay up. Turns out it worked!

Back
Top Bottom