Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome! I'm prone to seasickness, but I've been able to manage it well enough to get in dozens of boat dives a year. I take Bonine/meclizine the night before and the morning of, as others have suggested. I keep ginger gum in my bag and chew it as soon as I feel the slightest discomfort. Carbonated beverages can also help settle a queasy stomach. I bring a jacket (might not be necessary in Florida) so I can stay outside; the breeze in my face helps a lot. I also find that the more I go out on boats, the easier it gets. Hang in there!

No seasickness and all dives went well. Was a bit rough out there too, multiple people got sick. Took pill night before and morning of and stared at the horizon or at the light house. Hubby got sick after first dive but was good once he was back in the water. Did a total of five dives during the week: Elbow reef with Horizon Divers
two shore dives off of John Pennekamp Cannon Beach and
a drift dive at Bahia Honda that we had to cut short too much current and out of my comfort level.
FB_IMG_1628969975609.jpg

Thanks for the update and glad to hear it went well!

Took pill night before and morning of and stared at the horizon or at the light house. Hubby got sick after first dive but was good once he was back I'm the water.

What kind of pill did you use? Did your husband use medicine, too? I ask because it may be of interest to future divers who find this thread.

Excellent!

What kind of pill did you use? Did your husband use medicine, too? I ask because it may be of interest to future divers who find this thread.

Took this...one the night before and one the morning of. Hubby only took one the morning of.

Also used it for the fishing charter we did on Thursday. That was a little rough too with Fred coming in. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 20210815_191749.jpg
    20210815_191749.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 56
Took this...one the night before and one the morning of.

On closer look, toward the top of the packaging in your photo, it says Meclizine Hydrochloride (and more centrally, 'less drowsy'). That's a medication used for vertigo and motion sickness; it's the active ingredient in Bonine, which you may hear of as a popular relatively non-sedating anti-motion sickness medication.

I believe the original Dramamine main ingredient was dimenhydrinate, which was more associated with sedation.

I point this out because some people may take a glance, say 'Oh, Dramamine, yeah, I've heard of that,' and go get the original (not realizing it's not what you used).

Similarly, the brand name Tylenol is practically synonymous with the active ingredient Acetaminophen, but some Tylenol-branded products have other things in them.

My point (not necessarily to you, but newbies who may run across this thread later) is to pay attention to the active ingredient, not just the brand name. A lot of people already know this, but if just one didn't think of it...

You are correct Dramamine (meclizine) may be confused with Dramamine (dimenhydrinate).

Chose the meclizine over the later because the dimenhydrinate is associated with tachycardia, which I do get with some antihistamines. Way less side effects with the Meclizine. Hubby also takes blood pressure medications so had to watch the drug interactions. Always need to consider the mechanisms of action, side effects and drug/drug interactions with any OTC medication you might be considering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom