Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Li'l38:
You can see several varieties in South Florida. They are magnificent to watch crawling on the ocean floor!
Come dive Florida sometime.... you'll love it!

If you haven't already, visit the Florida Conch Divers forum... click here for visitors' access. Sign up on the roll call banter as a non-Floridian. Be ye warned... cave dwellers can get a li'l crazy sometimes!

Thanks Lil. I will definitely sign up. As for the diving - I have done 4 dives in Florida - off the coast of Lauderdale and Pompano Beach. But they were all boat dives. Is there a particular depth that makes conch "visitation" a better bet?

sarita75:
Is there a particular depth that makes conch "visitation" a better bet?
It varies but most often they're found in depths of less than 40ft. South Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean. They inhabit sea grass beds and sand flats, often found around shallow patch and fringing reefs. I'm not sure if there's any area where they are plentiful enough to guarantee you'll see one. Their numbers are greatly reduced, mostly (or at least partly) due to over-harvesting. There's fantastic beach diving available in South Florida. Even if you don't see a conch, you'll be in awe of everything else you can find there!

Thanks for the 411 on the conchitos. I really would like to see some. All my Florida dives have been 85' (Mercedes I wreck), 34' (reef), 70' (Ancient Mariner wreck -- loved it!; and 55' (reef).

Li'l38:
There's fantastic beach diving available in South Florida. Even if you don't see a conch, you'll be in awe of everything else you can find there!

My husband and I were lying on the beach at Lauderdale by the Sea and were amazed to see divers trudging in and out of the water. It was only when we finally "caught" on of them that we found out that there were such close reefs to the shore. We were both kicking ourselves for not having gotten out there! Perhaps in June although we might run into a problem w/ our flights and such. :( Always another time. I would actually love to come meet up with a bunch of you for the SB outtings that you do. I'll have to stay up on it so that I can organize a trip over at some point.

Our lovely moderator Marvel lives in LBTS.... her side yard is da bomb! That makes her a beach bomb! :D Keep your eye on the forum and jump in anytime.

On the topic of your flights- Keep in mind that shore diving often has a lesser maximum depth (did I say that right? shallower max depth? say, 30fsw or less) Not sure how much closer that gets you to fly time? (note to self- refresher course needed on tables, pressure groups, altitudes and fly time!) Although, I have no need to fly..... I live in Florida!

BTW- I love your sig line sarita!

Now, what the heck happened to opiewan? He better get back here soon or we'll be forced to go diving with out him! :wink:

WELCOME! I was just at Ginnie Springs this past weekend for the NACD event! I am hoping to be ready for cavern class this summer! Hope to run into you sometime! If not in the springs then I am in the salt....got to hang with my sharks!

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Sorry it has been so long for my reply. My computer at home died and I am just getting back on line here. And "Big Brother" keeps an eye on us at work, so although I would to chat away, I need my job to pay for my scuba.

I will update my avitar when I can find a neat picture to use.

Did you get your cavern class done Carolyn?

David

opiewan:
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Sorry it has been so long for my reply. My computer at home died and I am just getting back on line here.
Welcome back!

There will be a Mega Dive at Ginnie Springs in October (dates will be announced soon)........ It's a weekend camping/diving/ good times event. Kids and non-divers are welcome, it's open to all. Stick around and watch for the thread. We'd love to see you there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom