Hello from Western Mich.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Studied in West Michigan but didn't get to dive in the Great Lakes. What's it like? My guess is cold, but anything to see as compared to saltwater diving?

Good to have you on board. Cheers!

Hi, Basiltan
There are many shipwrecks in the Geat Lakes and since the water is COLD, below 60 feet or 20 meters the temp is near 40F or 5C. I used to dive quite abit on wrecks but as I have been diving now for twenty years I choose to dive mostly now in warm salt water mainly because I like the reef life. The wrecks are very interesting because they are quite intact even after 100 or more years because the cold water preserves them. I have dove old sailing ships and frieghters. The visibility is at best 40 - 60 feet with an average of 10 to 15. Most divers that like to wreck dive wear dry suits, but I find that with a suit -hood and mittens, it feels so restrictive. There are wrecks being found yet, a couple of months ago there was a new wreck discovered about twenty miles from our house but you need to dive trimix to dive it at about 250 ft. =-) There are many undiscovered wrecks. There are whole car ferries that have gone down in the 1930s that have not yet been found, can you imagine the price tag some of those cars would get in todays antique car business. There is not that much fish life to see and what there is is not colorful. The bottom is pure beach sand, no coral.
Dive Safe
Caymaniac :wink:

Hey Caymaniac,

How's it drippin down there? Surface water up here is nice, in the low 70's. But depending on the wind the first thermocline at about 20 feet in still in the high 50's. Second cline around 50 to 60 feet, put the hood & gloves on, in the high 40's low 50's.
Sounds like the better half should stay above 20 feet to keep the peace for awhile!:)

Hey Gedunk,

I was just in your territory last weekend, how bout those Angels blasting out the windows!! I even went over to Scuba North to browse. The traffic was maddening.:fury:
I have dove with Scuba North a couple of times near the West Bay mouth. Had 20 ft. vis but it was cccoollddd :confined:

Dive Safe
Caymaniac:snorkel:

Originally posted by caymaniac
Hey Gedunk,

I was just in your territory last weekend, how bout those Angels blasting out the windows!! I even went over to Scuba North to browse. The traffic was maddening.:fury:
I have dove with Scuba North a couple of times near the West Bay mouth. Had 20 ft. vis but it was cccoollddd :confined:

Dive Safe
Caymaniac:snorkel:

LOL, the Blue Angels are getting blamed for it, but i think it was the F-16. I was down in the Holiday Inn parking lot & when the F-16 went over he set off about a dozen car alarms, it was hilarious. The Angels set off none.

Was working at the Scuba Tour that was in town for the Festival, did you get down to see it? It's a blast getting those kids in that pool & watching them go nuts!

Yeah, I seen the Scuba tour in the park next to the Holiday Inn. You must have just been setting up when we first came by, then later we seen you had the pool set, I bet it is always fun to see and meet those who are just getting newly turned on to scuba.:cheers:

Dive Safe
Caymaniac

I just surfed on into this site last night. I 'm in the Grand Rapids area. Nice to meet both of you.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom