Hello from the PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't have scooters yet, so that is a good thing. Most of our diving has been warm water, so we are limiting things to 1 new piece of gear at a time to get used to.
Around here scooters are not a necessity by any means but they do open up a lot of sites. We have some crazy tides that rip in opposite directions over the course of a single dive. At those sites a scoot gives a layer of safety and a bigger buffer for when you can dive them. It's also fun to just pull the trigger and see what not many others have by going far from entry locations.

Around here scooters are not a necessity by any means but they do open up a lot of sites. We have some crazy tides that rip in opposite directions over the course of a single dive. At those sites a scoot gives a layer of safety and a bigger buffer for when you can dive them. It's also fun to just pull the trigger and see what not many others have by going far from entry locations.
I've used them in HI but will have to look into them. Do you have any recommendations on brands to check out?

I've used them in HI but will have to look into them. Do you have any recommendations on brands to check out?
I'm cheap so I use a Blacktip Tech ($2400 with batteries). If you take care of it and are aware of its limitations you'll be fine. I've put 3 hours trigger time between a pair of dives on 1 set of 9AH batteries and still had plenty of juice left.

Beyond that you're looking at $5k+ for a big boy scooter. Suex, Seacraft, Genesis, etc... A Genesis will be my next after I go CCR and the kids are true adults lol.

@jgardner04 you laugh, but when I was taking my DPV course a couple years ago in Hood Canal I found out how mad they get. We were taught on Yamaha scoots with no harness. They really do require 2 hands for affective use. We're otw to visit a local GPO and I saw a snack about 100 yards from his home. I stop and grab it correctly. I get back to scooting and my hand shifts on the handle and crab at the same time. This SoB manages to get his big claw on the cuticle of my left thumb. I dropped the scoot and yelled through my reg at the bastard to let go. While writhing in pain I reached down to my left calf and grabbed my bfk to end him. Right as I got ahold off the handle he let go and scampered off and I cursed his agility. My thumb hurt for a few days. Now I feed them to GPO whenever I get the chance lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom