Hello From Victoria BC...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, Rose, you do have quite the life, sadly with misfortune mixed in. My 18-year-old cat was in the hospital all weekend, so I can absolutely sympathize with your pet. Sorry. Even though you're someone who deals with death professionally, grief can't be easy.

I've not been up to Victoria, spent a few days in Vancouver and Deception Pass, Wash., but would like to some day. Conditions down here are a (sometimes literal) crapshoot, better in the winter but can be poor year round. I heard Victoria now has a sewage treatment plant, has that made any difference? Presumably the effluent is less rich than before.

Hi wnissen,

I lost Suzanne (Suzie) to complications relating to pneumonia, She was a high school history teacher, I miss her dearly.

My home (our home) is filled with our memories together. Suzie's closet is filled with all her cloths, possessions, I just can't seem to part with anything. I believe Madam died pining away, most of her last year's waking hours were spent in Suzie's chair, she was only seven, five when Suzie died.

Wow, How bout those Jays.

I'm close to the Pacific, 20 minutes, I get in as much diving as I can, more in the winter than the summer.

At one time I had aspirations of delving into technical diving, not now. I max out at 150 ft. won't go any deeper. I own two sets of 80 cu. ft. high pressure steel doubles and four 40 cu. ft. harnessed deco/bailout sets, all my regulators are current generation Poseidon Jetstream.

I was also interested (for about 15 minutes) in rebreathers, and it seemed like every time my interest peaked, someone using a rebreather died.

I spend a great deal of my time standing beside a large porcelain table, I like the standing part, not interested in being introduced to the lying on the table part.

Thanks so much for you kindness

Rose

Hi Rose and welcome to the Board from a fellow Canucker. Sorry to hear about the passing of your Partner and other best friend.

Cheers
Darrell

Hello GrafCanuck,

Thank you for the kind words.

I hear quite a bit about a historical wooden wreck dive center, Tobermorey, I'm not sure I've spelled that properly, as my spell check is giving me the red squiggle.

Sounds fantastic. I'm in Toronto occasionally for Funeral Director meetings/functions, I must make best efforts to visit Tobermorey.

All the very Best,

Rose

AFIK still under construction. Given that something like 2 or 3 cubic miles of ocean flush by Victoria every hour the contribution of sewage to the lack of vis is undetectable. Vis is completely a function of plankton bloom and how recently open ocean water has flushed out the local water.

Welcome to SB Rose from another Victoria (actually Metchosin) diver.

Hello Darnold9999,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I am so surprised at the large number of Canadian members.

I had thought (so much for thought) that the membership would be primarily split between the US East Coast, Florida and California...

I'm wonderfully surprised and glad.

The membership here at Scuba Board is huge...and world wide, I'm totally amazed.

I don't use the term blown away, but WOW!!

Rose

Hello GrafCanuck,

Thank you for the kind words.

I hear quite a bit about a historical wooden wreck dive center, Tobermorey, I'm not sure I've spelled that properly, as my spell check is giving me the red squiggle.

Sounds fantastic. I'm in Toronto occasionally for Funeral Director meetings/functions, I must make best efforts to visit Tobermorey.

All the very Best,

Rose
Hi again Rose
Your most welcome. I haven't been to Tobermory even though I now live closer to it. I only have a 3mm wetsuit and as a result I have become a fair weather diver. I hear Tobermory waters are clear but cold. I did have the chance 2 summers ago to dive in the St Lawrence River near Brockville. Saw several 19th century wrecks. There's no thermocline in the St Lawrence during the summer at least and I was fine in my 3mm. Albeit my dive friends were in their bleeping dry suits. So you have at least 2 choices in Ontario. Folks also dive at West Humber in the west part of Toronto.

Ps - a great diver's island is Bonaire and a close second is Curacao. Both in the south Caribbean (no hurricanes) Shore diving at it's best and on your own schedule.

Cheers
Darrell

Hi again Rose
Your most welcome. I haven't been to Tobermory even though I now live closer to it. I only have a 3mm wetsuit and as a result I have become a fair weather diver. I hear Tobermory waters are clear but cold. I did have the chance 2 summers ago to dive in the St Lawrence River near Brockville. Saw several 19th century wrecks. There's no thermocline in the St Lawrence during the summer at least and I was fine in my 3mm. Albeit my dive friends were in their bleeping dry suits. So you have at least 2 choices in Ontario. Folks also dive at West Humber in the west part of Toronto.

Ps - a great diver's island is Bonaire and a close second is Curacao. Both in the south Caribbean (no hurricanes) Shore diving at it's best and on your own schedule.

Cheers
Darrell

Hi Darrell,

I dive with a dry suit full time, I am a creature of cold water, north Pacific in the winter.

Just a few hours ago, I reviewed Tobermory's (I've left out the E before Y, and I'm still showing a red squiggle typing error) dive operation, Diver's Den.

Appear's due to the pandemic, their operation is showing as limited.

I know everyone is making best efforts to stay home, self distance, wear masks, and wash hands, all of which pose challenges as we endeavor to maintain status in the human race.

I place into practice all of these health precautions in my professional life, and more, I guess it's easier for me than some to abide by the pandemic rules, it's a terrible time.

I have never dove in Bonaire, or Curacao. I have dove in Aruba, it was quite a few years ago.

I will try to arrange something for Ontario the next time business takes me to Toronto.

Thank you so much Darrell,

Rose

The membership here at Scuba Board is huge...and world wide, I'm totally amazed.

We get around :)

Welcome to SB

Hi Darrell,

I dive with a dry suit full time, I am a creature of cold water, north Pacific in the winter.

Just a few hours ago, I reviewed Tobermory's (I've left out the E before Y, and I'm still showing a red squiggle typing error) dive operation, Diver's Den.

Appear's due to the pandemic, their operation is showing as limited.

I know everyone is making best efforts to stay home, self distance, wear masks, and wash hands, all of which pose challenges as we endeavor to maintain status in the human race.

I place into practice all of these health precautions in my professional life, and more, I guess it's easier for me than some to abide by the pandemic rules, it's a terrible time.

I have never dove in Bonaire, or Curacao. I have dove in Aruba, it was quite a few years ago.

I will try to arrange something for Ontario the next time business takes me to Toronto.

Thank you so much Darrell,

Rose

Did you two ever go to Roatan?

Back
Top Bottom