Hello from the beautiful PNW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

appygirl82

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new, and hoping to pass my OW cert on Oct 14th. I live in NW Oregon and looking to meet some buddies to maybe dive with someday :) My husband has ZERO interest in diving so I need some friends, lol!

I travel a lot to the tropics and I plan to dive, but of course id like to dive here close to home too! Any other PNW divers out there?!

-Amy

Besed on the Cert dive date, I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you are going through the same dive shop my wife and I did during the summer. We've found Dive buddies in our fellow classmates and have been out a couple times so far.

You should check out the Oregon Scuba Club, we've been to a couple meetings, and it is a friendly group of divers with various experience levels.
Oregon Scuba | Scuba Dive in the Pacific Northwest

Can you give me some tips on getting through the OW dives? I am just overall nervous! So far, I've not had much trouble with skills. Basic newbie stuff to practice but I feel good so far.

And yes, probably same shop! They've been great so far! Instructors are awesome :)

Can you give me some tips on getting through the OW dives? I am just overall nervous! So far, I've not had much trouble with skills. Basic newbie stuff to practice but I feel good so far.

And yes, probably same shop! They've been great so far! Instructors are awesome :)

Take your time and remember they aren't going to spring some surprise thing at you, all the tasks you are going to have to do in the OW dives is listed in your class materials, and they will follow that order pretty closely. Some things like practicing bouncy control are much easier at 20 feet and below compared to in a pool.

My wife (who is the reason we're divers and also was nervous about OW) is reading over my shoulder and is telling me that you should check out this GirlsThatScuba page, and their Facebook group (Girls that Scuba), in general and also specifically searching in the group "anxiety" and "open water" and you'll see how common this is. She really likes how supportive the Facebook group is:
Fear while scuba diving; is it normal and how you can overcome it

And also this Facebook group for NW women divers:
Pacific Northwest Women Divers

I am apart of the Girls that Scuba! I love that group too :) I just requested to be part of the PNW Women Divers :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom