Hello from Seoul, Korea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janbanlee

New
Reaction score
Hi! I'm recently interested in scuba diving, especially getting a license and going open water... but never actually have any experience. I'm thinking about getting PADI license in Korea or somewhere near from Korea, which could be affordable and a fun place.

The reason why I got interested in scuba diving is mainly because of whale sharks, and other whales/ turtles. I was always interested in marine life, but I had a huge fear for deep sea... it got really big and scary in 2014, but after going snorkeling around Okinawa and Thailand it got much better. So... I'm thinking about going for it this summer.

Most people recommended me Philippines and Koh Tao for getting a license, but I'm not sure which place would be the best place to enjoy. I've already been to Koh Tao and Koh Phangan, not because to go to scuba diving, most of time I drank, smoked and swam around - to see coral reefs and fishes. But It was just FULL of people anywhere (but I was there at pretty popular season)--- and snorkeling around the shores in Koh Tao wasn't really satisfying. corals were pretty dead and damaged. Maybe I just picked a wrong place to go snorkeling... Okinawa is really close from here, but not very affordable for me (if you care about safety and clean water and can speak Japanese, go Okinawa! I loved the island. :D).

Since I read lots of information about whale sharks diving and popularity of it in Philippines, I was just so close to get a ticket to Philippines--- But lots of divers in South Korea are not recommending this country. some call the diving practice at there 'Emperor's Diving' because it's likely to just go in to the water and that's it. Seawater in Korea's pretty harsher then most of tropical, popular underwater places, and some really worry about PADI divers who got their license in Philippines to go diving in Korea--- They think it would be really dangerous. Are Korean divers the only one who're worried about this? Or just diving in Philippines is not recommended?

So.... I started with 3 options (Korea, Philippines, Koh Tao), and still can't decide which would be the best. I wonder if anybody can recommend me another places somewhat affordable, close from Korea, and safe. I think most of divers here would go somewhere near from America.... but since it was pretty hard to find scuba divers' forum in Korean, and scuba divers' websites only advertises package tours going somewhere directly from Korea, I find this website would be rather big and trustful.

Oh, getting a PADI openwater license & Advanced license in Korea costs about 700 dollars (cheapest) --- but it doesn't cover going to 'open water'. Since going to any shores from teaching pools is expensive in Korea. I always have an option to go near island from where I live --- but clearly Korea have bit harsh sea and no tropical marine life!

Thank you! :D:D:D:D

+additional question
I recently saw 'blue whale diving in Sri Lanka' posts in internet. Is it jsut possible to see blue whales by going scuba diving? wow.

I'm in Seoul too. Nice to see your post.
How about Jeju island? It's not harsher than East sea of Korea and very beautiful underwater.
For me, I got OW in Seoul. It was not PADI's. I've also heard that it is super easy to get OW in Philippines. But as you know, many people get OW there. I haven't heard they had difficulties in diving other area. And I think how many times you dive is more important than the location of your first practice.

Welcome!

Of spots you mention I'd opt for Philippines personally.

best regards - Ray Purkis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom