Hello from PA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not used or been trained in dry suit diving, so take this with a grain of salt, but when you read up on it, I think you'll find training for one is needful. It's not like a wetsuit. Which type, what undergarments, managing the gas space in it, something called a 'She-Pee,' and for some the formidable expense are all things to consider.

Someone who's trained for and used them can give you more details. I've read just enough to figure out it's not something needful and practical for me to get into.
From what I've read on them, I feel that they'd benefit me but I'll see later

Drysuit is a must for Lake Erie diving. I see people try it in wetsuits and some say it's fine. Everyone I've seen on the wrecks in Erie who dived wet had fun. For about the 1st 10 minutes. Or once they got below 40-50 feet and the cold hit them like a sledgehammer.

As an instructor who teaches at Crusty's and has had students in Erie, I consider taking students into Erie in wet suits to be dangerous and irresponsible. Hypothermia is a very real risk and potentially fatal in a number of ways.

Crusty's is still going to be colder in May (depending on the weather leading up to it) until you get towards the end. Beginning of May the water was still in the 50s and (40s below 20 feet) we dived dry only.
There aren't really any photogenic wrecks in Erie in less than 80 feet of water. Anything shallower is a jumble of planks and rusting metal. Vis is generally poor shallower than 100 feet.

For photography forget about an agency class. Find a good underwater photographer who makes most of their living with a camera. There is one up in Baden, Pa and another in Columbus, Ohio (this one has shot for Nat Geo, Discovery, Smithsonian, etc.) who I recommend. I also shoot UW but I'm not at the point where I can teach a class on it that I would feel is worth the cost.

I do offer a workshop for skills for UW photography (buoyancy, trim, camera weighting, environmental awareness, and buddy skills for photographers). The I refer you to one of the pro's for the actual photo stuff. They don't want to waste time teaching you how to dive. You should know that before you go to them.

I'm the author of the SDI Drysuit course and manual. I also have a couple books of my own that are useful for new divers and those considering taking up the activity. They can be acquired through Amazon or by sending me a PM. I always have a few on hand signed.

@kay_ann, welcome to diving! For most of us, it's an amazing life-long adventure. Something that new divers don't know is that there can be a huge variation in the quality of your instruction. Bad instruction leads to poor skills that can make diving more difficult or even dangerous. Good instruction can help the new diver develop good skills. That makes diving more comfortable, enjoyable, and safer!

I have two recommendations. First, forget learning U/W photography until after certification AND you have a fair number of dives under your belt in a variety of conditions. Cameras can be a huge distraction and you want to have the basic skills really squared away before you start shooting. Second, go see @Jim Lapenta for your instruction. He is an outstanding instructor. If you learn from him, you'll come out as the better, safer diver that I mentioned above. Full disclosure: I don't know Jim personally. But he is well-regarded on the board here and works hard to ensure his students develop they skills they need. I wouldn't hesitate to send a family member to him.

I'm between Pittsburgh and Erie. Funnily enough Crusty's Quarry is the OW training/testing site. I definitely want to take a diving trip throughout the state/east coast in their rivers/lakes etc.
And ok! I'll save NC for later then. The keys are super pretty from what I've seen so I think I'll hold out fine :)
Training with Scott's scuba? Jenny and Josh are great people

Welcome. Take it slow. I recommend new divers leave the camera at home for a couple reasons.

First you need to get your bouyancy down before adding any kind of distraction, like a camera.

Second underwater photography gets expensive very quick.

I like a recommend drysuit diving but it is another air bubble and they can get pricey.

Other than that welcome to the underwater world.

Welcome. Take it slow. I recommend new divers leave the camera at home for a couple reasons.

First you need to get your bouyancy down before adding any kind of distraction, like a camera.

Second underwater photography gets expensive very quick.

I like a recommend drysuit diving but it is another air bubble and they can get pricey.

Other than that welcome to the underwater world.
Oh I'm not getting into UW photography right away lol. The housing is more expensive than my camera, and it'd be fairly distracting since I get really focused on composing the perfect shot. Thanks!

Drysuit is a must for Lake Erie diving. I see people try it in wetsuits and some say it's fine. Everyone I've seen on the wrecks in Erie who dived wet had fun. For about the 1st 10 minutes. Or once they got below 40-50 feet and the cold hit them like a sledgehammer.

As an instructor who teaches at Crusty's and has had students in Erie, I consider taking students into Erie in wet suits to be dangerous and irresponsible. Hypothermia is a very real risk and potentially fatal in a number of ways.

Crusty's is still going to be colder in May (depending on the weather leading up to it) until you get towards the end. Beginning of May the water was still in the 50s and (40s below 20 feet) we dived dry only.
There aren't really any photogenic wrecks in Erie in less than 80 feet of water. Anything shallower is a jumble of planks and rusting metal. Vis is generally poor shallower than 100 feet.

For photography forget about an agency class. Find a good underwater photographer who makes most of their living with a camera. There is one up in Baden, Pa and another in Columbus, Ohio (this one has shot for Nat Geo, Discovery, Smithsonian, etc.) who I recommend. I also shoot UW but I'm not at the point where I can teach a class on it that I would feel is worth the cost.

I do offer a workshop for skills for UW photography (buoyancy, trim, camera weighting, environmental awareness, and buddy skills for photographers). The I refer you to one of the pro's for the actual photo stuff. They don't want to waste time teaching you how to dive. You should know that before you go to them.

I'm the author of the SDI Drysuit course and manual. I also have a couple books of my own that are useful for new divers and those considering taking up the activity. They can be acquired through Amazon or by sending me a PM. I always have a few on hand signed.
Erie as an area is just colder in the winter anyway because it's further north...I can't imagine the water being much better. Lol. Hm, I think I'll take the classroom/pool portion in the beginning of May then schedule OW based on the weather. Or ask my instructor what they think of the time I should go.
And okay. Once I dive a bit then I'll message you about the workshop. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom