Hello from PA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I'm super new to the scuba world- I've wanted to dive for a while but am finally making the jump to get certified in May. Figured I'd join the forum to get more general knowledge and insight before starting. Waiting until May because it's Pennsylvania and the dive center doesn't do open water dives until then. I plan on diving in a few quarries and lakes to start, then eventually I want to dive by North Carolina and then Florida Keys. My goal is also to take an underwater photography class- I'm a photographer and would absolutely love to incorporate it into diving.
I'm really nervous that I won't be good enough to pass the classes, but am trying to stay positive especially since it's still a little over 3 months away.

Welcome. I think you might want to do the Florida Keys first, then North Caroline afterward. That's because the Keys has shallow coral reef diving over a flat bottom, and can comfortably be done at the recently OW level of training (but plan to have Advanced OW if you want to do some of the deep wreck options like the Spiegel Grove).

The big draw of North Carolina diving is offshore wrecks with sand tiger sharks. Deep diving with near square profiles and you'll need AOW and Nitrox.

I enjoyed both and am blessed to have been. Here are my trip reports for comparison.
Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

Welcome. I think you might want to do the Florida Keys first, then North Caroline afterward. That's because the Keys has shallow coral reef diving over a flat bottom, and can comfortably be done at the recently OW level of training (but plan to have Advanced OW if you want to do some of the deep wreck options like the Spiegel Grove).

The big draw of North Carolina diving is offshore wrecks with sand tiger sharks. Deep diving with near square profiles and you'll need AOW and Nitrox.

I enjoyed both and am blessed to have been. Here are my trip reports for comparison.
Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html
Thanks! I'll read them :) I eventually want to do wreck diving when I'm ready.

There is good wreck diving on Lake Erie with charters out of Erie and a bit into New York State. Great Lakes wrecks are fabulous. But it’s not warm water diving.

There is good wreck diving on Lake Erie with charters out of Erie and a bit into New York State. Great Lakes wrecks are fabulous. But it’s not warm water diving.
Oh cool! Yeah, I get cold relatively easily lol, wouldn't I need a drysuit for that? I'm pretty sure I'd need more training but maybe not

Oh cool! Yeah, I get cold relatively easily lol, wouldn't I need a drysuit for that? I'm pretty sure I'd need more training but maybe not
There are lots of Great Lakes wrecks in recreational limits. Plenty of people do those in 7mm wetsuits. You don’t need any special training to swim along the exterior of a wreck. Drysuits are definitely the way to go if you get serious about Great Lakes or other local diving. You’re a hell of a lot more comfortable and it really extends your diving season.

There are lots of Great Lakes wrecks in recreational limits. Plenty of people do those in 7mm wetsuits. You don’t need any special training to swim along the exterior of a wreck. Drysuits are definitely the way to go if you get serious about Great Lakes or other local diving. You’re a hell of a lot more comfortable and it really extends your diving season.
I'll definitely look into drysuits more since I am constantly cold lol

Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba. What part of PA? Pittsburgh area here. As for good diving in relative proximity, there is crustys quarry in Volant, Dutch in East, st Lawrence river in Alexandria Bay (warmest option relatively close) I agree do some keys diving before the Carolinas, both are phenomenal but Carolinas is definitely harder diving but rewarding.

Yeah, I get cold relatively easily lol, wouldn't I need a drysuit for that? I'm pretty sure I'd need more training but maybe not
I've not used or been trained in dry suit diving, so take this with a grain of salt, but when you read up on it, I think you'll find training for one is needful. It's not like a wetsuit. Which type, what undergarments, managing the gas space in it, something called a 'She-Pee,' and for some the formidable expense are all things to consider.

Someone who's trained for and used them can give you more details. I've read just enough to figure out it's not something needful and practical for me to get into.

Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba. What part of PA? Pittsburgh area here. As for good diving in relative proximity, there is crustys quarry in Volant, Dutch in East, st Lawrence river in Alexandria Bay (warmest option relatively close) I agree do some keys diving before the Carolinas, both are phenomenal but Carolinas is definitely harder diving but rewarding.
I'm between Pittsburgh and Erie. Funnily enough Crusty's Quarry is the OW training/testing site. I definitely want to take a diving trip throughout the state/east coast in their rivers/lakes etc.
And ok! I'll save NC for later then. The keys are super pretty from what I've seen so I think I'll hold out fine :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom