hello from northern california

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eric, dove sonoma coast for my cert dive. i don't even remember where, it's need that long. and since then i'm only dove monterey. any suggestions on where to dive in sonoma county/coast. thanks...
You probably went to Gerstle Cove or maybe Stillwater Cove, both in Sonoma County.
Starting in Sonoma County at the southern end in order:
Fort Ross State Park
Timber Cove
Stillwater Cove
Ocean Cove
Stump Beach
Fisk Mill Cove
Gerstle Cove
5 public access beaches in Sea Ranch.
There are other options further south and other ones in Between that involve goat trails, but these are the basic ones that are very easy to get to, for exception of Fisk Mill which involves some hiking but the underwater typography is outstanding.
The closest air fills will be Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa.
Look up Seal’s website, they have a monthly fun dive usually at Stillwater Cove and they do an urchin removal dive, or just fun dive if you don’t want to do the urchin work. I think they probably started back up since the lockdown.

Mendocino County is a whole different list of places and the diving up there is the best in California IMO if you like dramatic underwater terrain, pinnacles and wall dives.
But don’t tell anybody because I’m trying to keep it a secret.

It’s been y
Eric, Tell me what diving is like at Stump Beach, please.
It’s been years, but I’ve been there to ab dive.
Pick a calm day because the beach is aimed towards the NW incoming swell. Sandy cove leads out to rocks on either side. I Have not tank dived it but can’t see a reason not to. I have not hiked down there since the dramatic winter storms so I don’t know it’s condition, but I’m guessing it took a beating like every other beach on the North Coast.
A lot of sand could be moved out and the trail could be washed out with a ledge at the last part where you step onto the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom