Hello from NorCal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christian Briggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey SCUBA community! Glad to be here. Just got OW certified and am excited to gain experience. I’m looking for dive buddies and good clubs to join in NorCal, so if you have any recommendations or would like to dive sometime, let me know. I’m based in Monterey and Sacramento. Also I’m going to Hawaii soon, so any tips for there would be great as well! Thanks all. Looking forward to being on this board.

Welcome. I only made it to California one trip, south, but saw enough to know you guys have good diving. Never been to Hawaii.

Welcome! You're quite lucky to be in Monterey, as I'm sure you know. I'm closer to Sacramento, so it's a slog. The Monterey Bay Sea Otters on Facebook and Aqua Tutus are two groups that I know happy members of. Plus you can post in here in the Northern California forum if you have specific questions or are looking for a buddy.

Hawai'i is really big, where specifically? Even on the Big Island you don't want to be driving all the way across if you can help it.

I'm closer to Sacramento, so it's a slog. The Monterey Bay Sea Otters on Facebook and Aqua Tutus are two groups that I know happy members of.

I had forgotten about Aqua Tutus. I was a member in the early 1960s and still have a card in a box someplace.

Welcome! You're quite lucky to be in Monterey, as I'm sure you know. I'm closer to Sacramento, so it's a slog. The Monterey Bay Sea Otters on Facebook and Aqua Tutus are two groups that I know happy members of. Plus you can post in here in the Northern California forum if you have specific questions or are looking for a buddy.

Hawai'i is really big, where specifically? Even on the Big Island you don't want to be driving all the way across if you can help it.

Thanks for the club advice. I am definitely interest in the Sea Otters and will look into Aqua Tutus. It's always good to spread a wide net! I am flying into Kona. I'll be doing tours and from I can tell from my limited research, unless you pay for a private charter ($$$ Nope), they kind of take you wherever (just called "local morning dive"). So I don't think I'll be going anywhere specific on my February, but if you have any recommendations for next time, I'm all ears.

If you would like me to send you my Kona recommendations (dive ops, dive sites, eating, etc.) PM me your email address.

Thanks for the club advice. I am definitely interest in the Sea Otters and will look into Aqua Tutus. It's always good to spread a wide net! I am flying into Kona. I'll be doing tours and from I can tell from my limited research, unless you pay for a private charter ($$$ Nope), they kind of take you wherever (just called "local morning dive"). So I don't think I'll be going anywhere specific on my February, but if you have any recommendations for next time, I'm all ears.
Oh, in that case I do. A bit up the coast from Kona, but a nice area and a lot of sugar plantation history around Kohala.

https://www.kohaladivers.com/

Had a very nice trip with them. I think the pot luck nature of the boat dives is pretty normal. You never know what the swell is going to look like and the crew presumably knows what sites are suited to in terms of volume and direction on a given day. If you've got a site you really want to visit, especially if you're going multiple days, it couldn't hurt to suggest it. There is supposed to be very good shore diving in Kona but Hawaiʻi surf entries can be challenging even if you're going snorkeling, depending on conditions.

Back
Top Bottom