Hello from NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giantfan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

My name is Ted and I am from central NJ.
I am new to scuba and am currently taking my online PADI course. I have done a couple of resort dives and always wanted to get certified but never seemed to have the time. I have a trip planed in Feb to the BVI's, where we are renting a boat for the week (picking up the boat in Tortola and who knows where we will go from there) and wanted to be able to dive with a friend of mine that is already certified.

I have a 34' Pursuit Express (see picture below) that I keep in Keyport NJ and look forward to going down and seeing my fishing spots from a different perspective. I also will like having the ability to have my scuba gear on board for our offshore trips so if I have to get to my running gear to cut lines or something of that nature, I can do so without holding my breath :wink:

This seems like a great site from what I have seen so far and look forward to learning a lot from all and hope to be able to contribute as I move forward with my knowledge and experience.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 26
Welcome from a fellow NJ diver!

Please, do yourself a favor and don't dive off your own boat without a buddy, surface support, emergency O2 etc. Just not worth it...

However, if you need a DM to go diving WITH you feel free to give a shout!

PS - where are you doing your training?

Welcome from a fellow NJ diver!

Please, do yourself a favor and don't dive off your own boat without a buddy, surface support, emergency O2 etc. Just not worth it...

However, if you need a DM to go diving WITH you feel free to give a shout!

PS - where are you doing your training?

Thanks for the welcome.

I would never dive without a buddy or having someone topside.... I just have to figure out how to keep the guy that will be topside from hooking us when we are down there :D... all of my friends that I would trust my boat with fish.

I haven't signed up for my pool work anywhere yet. I'm thinking Dosils or East Coast Diving Center (any suggestions?) I am going to do my open water dives while I am in Tortola.

My boat has plenty of room and I am guessing that having a DM on board, sure wouldn't be a bad thing. I have a few friends that dive quite a bit and think that I will be getting plenty of dive time next summer. I also have a pretty extensive list of wrecks in my plotter and will be looking to check them out to see where the fish like to hang around.

Welcome and sweet ride, Ted! Yes, please keep all the emergency stuff mentioned by RJP in mind - all good advice. Diving brings a whole new insight into your fishing spots and your catch as well - no need to bring in useless garbage fish or juvies on a hook when you can choose from flounder, tog, bass, etc. on your spear and bugs!
Jersey (...one depressed Iggles fan...)

Thanks for the welcome.

I would never dive without a buddy or having someone topside.... I just have to figure out how to keep the guy that will be topside from hooking us when we are down there :D... all of my friends that I would trust my boat with fish.

Have them take a break while you're down there. I've actually been hooked by an errant fisherman on a diveboat once...not fun.

I just have to figure out how to keep the guy that will be topside from hooking us when we are down there :D... all of my friends that I would trust my boat with fish.

Welcome to the board!

Once your friends see all the fish you can catch with a spear gun, they will want to learn how to dive.

Welcome to SB!

I just got back from a week on Tortola, where I had a great time diving with Sail Caribbean. There are a lot of fun dive sites to check out around there.

Since you're from NJ, I hope you'll stop in on the Dive NY forum which is inhabited by a bunch of active and friendly local divers.

Safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom