Hello from Monterey Bay, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jowe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello there!

Having done a few warm-water resort dives long ago, it's time to get back in the (much chillier) water for real this time!

I'm at the 'PADI online learning' and 'buy the minimum stuff to hop in the ocean' point in my dive journey.

I cannot wait to explore the underside of the Monterey Bay, then a few other locations in future.

Looking forward to learning from you all, and contributing more as I move from "feel free to learn from my mistakes" to "hey, I have experience to share"!

I lived and dove there forty years ago. We had a little place in Monterey on Alice Street.

Thank you, great to hear from you all!

Rous and Eric, so you started diving super young! I moved here from the SF Bay Area almost 6 years ago now - time has flown..

lattehiatus - good advice, I'll be joining the club at the dive shop I'm certifying through, they and it have a good reputation :)

Thank you, great to hear from you all!

Rous and Eric, so you started diving super young! I moved here from the SF Bay Area almost 6 years ago now - time has flown..

lattehiatus - good advice, I'll be joining the club at the dive shop I'm certifying through, they and it have a good reputation :)
No, I’ve only been diving for 25 years. When I was a kid living on the Monterey peninsula I wasn’t a diver yet, that came later. But I had a friend in grade school who was. His dad started him diving at 5 years old in Monterey.

No, I’ve only been diving for 25 years. When I was a kid living on the Monterey peninsula I wasn’t a diver yet, that came later. But I had a friend in grade school who was. His dad started him diving at 5 years old in Monterey.
"Only" 25 years :) That's awesome. I didn't even know kids could start diving at 5... Well, never a truer expression than, better late than never, (in my case) especially with something as incredible as diving,

It's my hope to get up to Monterey to do some diving by years end. Much as enjoy my Henderson 7 mil, I'm heading into the shop next week to get fitted for a drysuit (DUI). I had finally broke down and tried diving dry a few months back and walked away wondering why I waited so long. So I'll be looking for some properly cool waters to try it out in outside of my local mudholes, Lakes Mead and Mojave. I'll just need to find something entertaining for the wife to do topside as she does not do anything below mid/upper 70's.

Welcome!
I’m in SF, moved here some 9 months ago after years of living and diving in Mexico. I finally got around to diving Monterey a few weeks ago - fun but COLD. I will be skipping the 7mm purchase and going straight to the drysuit.

Hope to see you folks around!

"Only" 25 years :) That's awesome. I didn't even know kids could start diving at 5... Well, never a truer expression than, better late than never, (in my case) especially with something as incredible as diving,
Well technically by todays standards they aren’t supposed to be scuba diving until 10, but this was 1968 and the kid’s dad was an instructor so it was kind of the wild west.
I remember them doing a show and tell/scuba demo one day at school. They filled up a big trash can with water and the kid dropped down inside and was breathing off the reg. He was like the brave hero adventurer kid at school because he was a “diver” and all the other kids (including me) were very impressed.
You would never see that now.

Back
Top Bottom