Hello from Maryland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shibabigk

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys!
jut dropping in to say hi! I moved to Maryland three years ago and with a busy life I hadn't been on a dive since. Just went to visit some family in Germany, and happened to have the opportunity to go diving and remembered how much I loved it. When I get back to the states I plan to find me a place to go diving. Can't wait!
Really my problem seems to be to find a spot. I am used to a club that organizes a dive in a local lake each month and my college student budget does not allow for weekened trips to the keys. So what to do? I don't feel experienced enough to go on trips with just one other person (not to mention that DH still has to take his OWD course anyway). Also, I enjoy the company and friendship between divers.
Now I get that reefs and stuff are more exciting than a good ol' lake, but there's got to be local places to dive?
Anyway, its nice to meet y'all!

Sarah

Well, there are many quarries in the area to dive in. Namely, Bainbridge, guppy gulch, Dutch spring, Lake Rawlings, and they will all help you refine your skills. In addition to that there are charters out of OC (if you go with someone the cost of an overnight stay is much reduced), charters out of South and Central Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, and even NC (for a long weekend trip of great diving). Further than all that is the great St Lawrence river too. Depending on where you are and what you are looking for some of the most challenging and fun dives can be had around here, you just need to be willing to work for it :wink:

PM me if you ever want a buddy to dive with.

See, I knew I just had to find the right people to ask... Any clubs that make trips out there, rent out equipment? And since you seem to know the area, is there a particluar school that you'd recommend for DH to get his OWD?
Thanks!

I am new to diving. The only place I've been is Hyde's Quarry in Westminster. They have a bus, a jeep (I think) and some other things there. I am looking for someone to dive with around Ft. Carol (or anywhere else in MD for that matter). I may be the only person interested in this since I'm not sure how good the visibility is, but, I am interested in the fort. I would also be diving in the Chesapeake Bay if someone is looking for a buddy. I don't know where the wrecks are or even if it is nice there for diving, but if you're in the water swimming around, how bad can it be?

So glad to finally see a female diver who lives in MD!! Welcome and if you want to go diving just let me know

See, I knew I just had to find the right people to ask... Any clubs that make trips out there, rent out equipment? And since you seem to know the area, is there a particluar school that you'd recommend for DH to get his OWD?
Thanks!

I would recommend particular instructors, but no dive shops in particular around here. Send me a private message if you are interested. I can also give you more info about the diving and shops in the area as well. I have had the opportunity to visit almost every one of them.

I'll take all you guys up on the offer. Still in Germany for a bit. Just went to a 'club day' today. Everyone brings their non diving partners, kids, dogs, the whole family. Shop owners provide food (who does not love a sausage fresh of the grill after a rather cool dive?) and everyone enjoys the water and hangs out while taking a dive in between. I of course love the dive but the entire atmosphere of being around relaxed, like minded people is part of the appeal for me.

TSnyder, I also think that there must be places in the bay, even the atlantic ist just under 3 hrs from D.C. Where there is water...
Definitly let me know if you find something. I started young but don't have that many dives (quite embarassing if I admit that I started over a decade ago and haven't even hit 50 yet)
so I am really looking for some guidance and the opportunity to go with experienced people.

ETA: How do I send a pm? I know its got to be some obvious button that I hapen to overlook. Thanks!

Last edited:
ETA: How do I send a pm? I know its got to be some obvious button that I hapen to overlook. Thanks!

Left click on the members name you want to send a PM to.

What part of Maryland will you be in? You might wanna check out the Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders group which has a lot of info on the Chesapeake Bay and Md area. I can't help but think quarries sound quite boring considering the proximity of the Bay. I hope to do some diving there this fall. Defintely interesting in seeing some cool wrecks. :popcorn:

I'm not sure where in MD you are, but I use Brass Anchor Scuba Center Brass Anchor Scuba Center Frederick PADI Courses for my local dive shop. They are located in Frederick, MD.

They have a great selection of gear, run almost monthly trips all over the place, and have fantastic staff and instructors. They also have an active dive club. Lots of people just hang out at the shop and make friends and go to local spots on their own if the shop isn't running classes or a dive outing at the quarry they want to go to.

Check them out, you won't be disappointed.

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom