Hello from Majuro/Bikini, Marshall Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bakodiver391

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all, I'm currently helping to run the dive program at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, aboard the livaboard "MV Windward". Looking forward to hearing from some like-minded divers.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

How long has the MV Windward been operating at Bikini Atoll?

Are they the only operator?

How long ago did the land based operation close?

Bikini has been on our radar.

We'll be winding up the second season in November, trade winds start then and so does surfing season. We are the only operator as Air Marshall Islands is still not reliable. The land based operation closed in 2007. These are two week trips ex Kwajalein, so you can dive the Prinz Eugen on the way up. The 27 hour passage to Bikini and back is not for everyone, but you can bring all your toys on the ship. Next year is looking to be pretty full.

G'day,

I was on the late October 2012 dive expedition with Peter Fear, The Scuba Doctor, to Bikini Atoll on MV Windward. There's a great video from the trip at https://vimeo.com/53356169.

I first booked in 2007 to go to Bikini Atoll using the fly in and fly out land based operation for a 2009 trip, but then the land based setup was cancelled because of the unreliability of the airline. I was invited at short notice to go on a trial liveaboard expedition in October 2010, but couldn't get away from work. I was booked to go in 2011 and again in Feb 2012 but had to cancel both times because of work. You can see I've been wanting to get there for quite some time.

Well, I finally made it. Diving at Bikini Atoll was everything I expected and then some, and my expectations were extremely high! Yes, it took a long time to get there, but that's what expedition diving is partly about.

The wreck diving on the sunken nuclear fleet warships was simply magnificent. Two dives on the German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen (including some penetration) at Kwajalein Atoll. Then seven dives on the huge USS Saratoga aircraft carrier (including some penetration, plus a bow to stern and back dive), two dives on the amazing Japanese battleship HIJMS Nagato with its massive 16 inch guns, plus dives on the USS Anderson, USS Apogon, USS Carlisle, USS Arkansas, USS Lamson and USS Pilotfish at Bikini Atoll.

I'm going back again in October 2013 this time as a tour leader. See Scuba Dive Bikini Atoll - The top wreck diving location in the world - The Scuba Doctor for the trip details. (There's a lot of information about diving at Bikini Atoll on other pages on that web site.) There are still a few spots left on the 2013 trip, and both of the 2014 trips are nearly full.

Note: MV Windward is the only licensed liveaboard operator for Bikini Atoll. The boat takes just 12 divers, plus the crew, so opportunities are limited.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

Hi,
I am really interested in going there this year. When i look how to book this i find a few companies, each of them offer certain dates of tours with the Windward. I get hardly any informations about this companies and i wonder if i shall send a big amount of money to the end of the world. Which companies did the divers here use to book that trip.
Greetings
Erik

Hi,
I am really interested in going there this year. When i look how to book this i find a few companies, each of them offer certain dates of tours with the Windward. I get hardly any informations about this companies and i wonder if i shall send a big amount of money to the end of the world. Which companies did the divers here use to book that trip.
Greetings
Erik
Lloyd above looks good; I can vouch for Pete Mesley's charters to Truk Lagoon as well --looking forward to Bikini Atoll for the first time sometime this year with either party. . .

BIKINI ATOLL - 2012 and 13 Dates for Pete Mesleys "Lust for Rust" diving Excursions - Rebreather World

Hi,
Greetings
Erik

There is only the one liveaboard charter operator for diving at Bikini Atoll and that's Indies Trader Marine Adventures (Indies Trader Marine Adventures | Mentawai & Marshall Islands Surf Charters). Then there are the usual run of dive tour companies that resell spots on the trips that Indies Trader run to Bikini Atoll.

However, there are also two companies that were doing dive expeditions to Bikini Atoll when the diving was land based, and helped Indies Trader Marine Adventures to setup for safe liveaboard diving at Bikini Atoll. These two companies also organise tour groups to Bikini Atoll via Indies Trader - Peter Fear (The Scuba Doctor - Australian based) and Pete Mesley (Lust4Rust - New Zealand based).

I strongly recommend that for the best experience while diving at Bikini Atoll you go on a dive expedition run by The Scuba Doctor (Scuba Dive Bikini Atoll - The top wreck diving location in the world - The Scuba Doctor) or Lust4Rust (Wreck Diving Trips, Bikini Atoll, Truk Lagoon).

Please note that this is expedition diving. You'll be going to a very remote part of the world. The liveaboard is a working boat, not a luxury liveaboard. Everything is subject to the weather and sea conditions, plus plenty of other factors. Be prepared for an adventure like no other.

I'm a tour leader for the dive expedition run by The Scuba Doctor in early October 2013. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

Back
Top Bottom