Hello from Japan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whkento

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, folks. New to the board. I live in Nagoya, Japan. I moved here from Asheville, NC, USA about 7 years ago.

Love to dive, but don't get to do it all that often. My wife got her open diver (PADI) cert. on our honeymoon in Saipan, but we have two young kids now, so not a lot of dive time. I got certified about 22 years ago while in university. Took my open water dives in Indiana quarries in January. Brrrrr. Got my advanced cert. soon after and have been diving here and there when on vacation.

Anyway, looking forward to learning a lot! :D

Kento

Hi Kento,

I also live in Nagoya, been here about a year and I'm looking to do some diving soon. Do you know of any dive shops that speak English around here or dive sites within driving distance?

Amin

You can try Discovery Divers Tokyo they may have some ideas up in that area or you could join them on one of their weekend tours. Or you can always come down and see us in Okinawa the waters warm and the diving is great down here.

:D

Hey, amb688, it's good to know there's somebody else around here who wants to go diving. I don't know any spots nearby, but haven't really researched much yet. I'm gonna try to take some day trips soon to find decent snorkeling spots, but a lot of nearby spots have pretty poor visibility. We'll see what comes up. Let's keep in touch. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Japan-diver, thanks for the reply. I was just checking out your website a few minutes ago. Looks like you've got a nice operation down there. I dived with Estivant at Kume Island about 5 years ago and really want to go back to the Ryuku islands. I'll definitely contact you when I can make that happen. It may not be for a while, though... It's tough to plan dive vacations when you have 2 young kids (3 and 4 yrs old).:)

konban wa whkento!

Nice to see another person from NC here (and another with a thing for Japan evidently!). I'm originally from Cleveland, NC (brownie points if you know where that is!), but spend most of my time in the mountains of NC as well.

How's the diving in Japan, if you've gotten to do any that is?

Doozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu. Welcome to the board!
~April

konban wa whkento!

Nice to see another person from NC here (and another with a thing for Japan evidently!). I'm originally from Cleveland, NC (brownie points if you know where that is!), but spend most of my time in the mountains of NC as well.

How's the diving in Japan, if you've gotten to do any that is?

Doozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu. Welcome to the board!
~April

Hi, April. Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been diving and snorkeling at Kume Island (near Okinawa) once--it was spectacular. Great visibility and lotsa purty fishies. I've been snorkeling up north in the Sea of Japan once--fun, but not really impressive. I'm hoping to get out and see some more places soon.

Have you been over here? What's your interest in Japan, if I may ask?

Yoroshiku,

Kento

I was over there for a little over two weeks back in 2008 for a student exchange programme my high school had with Misazawa super science high school up in Iwate prefecture. I fell in love with Japan immediately upon landing, lol. I've been studying Japanese now for four years and I plan to eventually return to teach English after graduation and possibly do a study abroad for at least a semester sometime in the future.

How did you end up in Japan, if I may ask?
~April

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom