Hello from Huntsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerlDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello from Huntsville,AL. My entire family (myself, wife, son 15yrs old, and daughter 12yrs old) got certified back in October with the great folks at SDI in Huntsville. We are all currently working on our AOW. After this weekend, we will need one more dive and the homework to complete. My son and I want to move on to 2 or 3 speciality courses.

Thanks to everyone for all your posts. Very informative and entertaining.

How we got started is kinda interesting. We spend a couple of holiday weekends in a row at Phoenix Hotel west, next to Bahama Bob's which means next to what would become known to us as the Whiskey Wreck. 2 holiday weekends seeing divers diving the waters there made my son and me catch the scuba bug. Watched the divers assemble their gear thru the binoculars from our 10th floor room, and watched them dive, even 1 night dive with their lights casting a glow out in the middle of dark waters. Looked like fun. Had to try it. Tried it, and love it. After reading the archives of Dixie Divers, I noticed a guy named SuprBugMan who had lots of posts, especially of the Whiskey Wreck. After looking at his photo gallery and seeing pics of him, I recognized him as one of the divers I was saw. So, the SuperBugMan lives up to his name. He sure gave us the scuba bug. Thanks, Bugman, and the rest of the divers - whomever you are.

Since my sister-in-law and her family live in Gulf Shores, I see many weekend trips down there where diving will most definitely take place. We are in contact with the Bugman as well as Gary from Gary's Dive Shop. Both have been very helpful. Looking forward to trading quarry weekends with weekends at the Gulf.

(By the way, "Perl" is the computer language I program in at work - a little play on the word "pearl".)

Bruce

welcome to Scubaboard Perl Diver. Next time you are heading this way let us know I'm sure me and or Superbugman will be glad to dive with you.

Shoot me a line when you head this way, I'll more than likely be able to guide you out to the Whiskey as long as I'm in town :)

So in essence you are kinda like Bruce Perl... a play on the man Bruce Pearl? I hope you love Tennessee basketball... if so we will be fast friends

Oh yeah... I will be in Huntsville all summer, so hopefully we will be able to get some dives in together.

Hey chap and welcome to the board from sunny old England!! Nothing quite like breeding your own buddies chap, good on ya!!

Thanks all. We're all looking forward to seeing the real underwater world down there (after a brief detour by Cozumel last part of March - we are chaperoning son's band trip cruise). Quarries and springs are fun, but I'm ready to see the ocean and its wildlife - sharks, too, if they got up on the right side of the bed that morning.

UT-Diver-Matt, I am born and breed Tullahoma, TN. Moved to Ala when graduated college. Niece is in Auburn band, several friends graduated Univ of Ala. So, I am sorta tugged 3 different directions. I do enjoy watching the UT girls' basketball when I find them on TV. Games are fun to watch when coaches like UT girls' who are passionate as well as professional about their sport. The passion just isn't in NFL anymore, IMHO. I prefer college, now, especially SEC football & March Madness.

Welcome to the board! I live in Huntsville and have been certified since 2004. My son (22) is my main dive buddy. What we have here is an opportunity. We are planning a dive trip to Key Largo over Memorial Day weekend. I will not know my son's summer work situation until later this week, but I hope he will have time off. I am organizing a Deep Dixie Diver Mega Dive (check out the thread in Trips) and need an additional 4 people to share a condo with. If you want to go as a 4 person unit, then the condo has 1 bedroom places that sleep 4. Check it out.

Howard

PS Before Mike S invites you to SEAS, let me. We meet the 2d Thursday of each month at Green Hills Grill. Perhaps we will see you there.

Hi Bruce. Welcome to a great hobby! You will love ocean diving. Springs are nice, but that salt water will blow you away. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Hello Bruce. Good to have you around. There are many divers that dive regularly,not just on vacation, in the Huntsville,Madison,Deactur area. Come join us the next time we get together. We will plan it here so it is easy to see what is going on at any given time. Hope to meet you and your family/dive buddies soon.
I would love for my 10 year old daughter to watch your 12 yr old dive. It just might be the encouragement she needs. She is currently not even the least bit interested.

philmottrek99and02:
PS Before Mike S invites you to SEAS, let me. We meet the 2d Thursday of each month at Green Hills Grill. Perhaps we will see you there.

Ha! You forgot to give him the SEAS Club website. :no

www.seasscuba.org

This months newsletter is at www.seasscuba.org/newsletter/2007_02February .
Click on the newsletter link on the main SEAS page to look at all the older newsletters.

Hope to see you at the next meeting.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom