Hello from Anchorage, Alaska !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wanted to say hello from Anchorage, AK. I'm halfway through my PADI Open Water certification through the LDS Dive Alaska, and so far, I'm having a blast learning something new. I was initially just going to do the referral course and do my checkout dives in Cozumel, Mexico, but after some inspirational stories about the diving in the local waters from my instructors have decided to do my checkout dives out in Whittier in a drysuit in November. I'm not too worried about freezing in the water, but I'm terrified of freezing when I get out.
Good for you. Be sure to make (pay for) an extra (5th) dive to get the drysuit certification as well. I certified in Whittier in November (2003) - it was pretty cold. There was a slushy mixture on the surface. I wasn't offered an option to make a 5th dive and get a drysuit certification though.

I'll be diving in Whittier on November 8th. Maybe I'll see you there :)

Cheers!
nd

For sure get that 5th dive. Total skills remaining remove and replace dry suit inflator at the surface:) easiest cert there is.

Welcome, you'll love it. Cold water is not that bad in a dry suit if properly dressed, yes you'll feel it on your face the first time but after that:gun::gun:

For sure get that 5th dive. Total skills remaining remove and replace dry suit inflator at the surface:) easiest cert there is.

Welcome, you'll love it. Cold water is not that bad in a dry suit if properly dressed, yes you'll feel it on your face the first time but after that:gun::gun:

Yeah... I did go ahead and add the dry-suit certification with my checkout dives. I also added the Nitrox cert as well. I aced my Final Exam, and I did my last confined water dive last night and loved it. According to my instructors, I am doing extremely well for my 4th dive. My bouyancy and trim is pretty good. They were even giving me some additional training with frog-kicks, reverse frog-kicks, helicopter turns, modified flutter kicks. It's going to take some practice though...I was feeling pretty awkward not being able to see my legs going through the motions.

Now...I just need to pass my swim test. For some reason, distance swimming is not my strong suit. I can ride my mtn bike for miles at a moderate pace without problems, but as soon as I jump in a pool and start swimming, I can't seem to get enough air to keep going for the required 200m. Hopefully, i'll be ready in a couple more weeks. I've been going to the gym 3x/wk doing laps and cardio to work on pacing and stamina.

Good for you. Be sure to make (pay for) an extra (5th) dive to get the drysuit certification as well. I certified in Whittier in November (2003) - it was pretty cold. There was a slushy mixture on the surface. I wasn't offered an option to make a 5th dive and get a drysuit certification though.

I'll be diving in Whittier on November 8th. Maybe I'll see you there :)

Cheers!
nd

I'll actually be doing my checkout dives the last weekend of November, but that is subject to change. They wanted me to try my swim test last night, but I usually go there early to do some laps, so I was already on the tired side when they asked. I imagine I could have done my checkout dives this weekend since the dive shop is doing some diving in Whittier this weekend. Oh well... I may end up going just to see what it's all about though :) and Have a great dive...I imagine we'll be running into each other someday...alaska is a big state, but it's amazingly small too.

I'll actually be doing my checkout dives the last weekend of November, but that is subject to change. They wanted me to try my swim test last night, but I usually go there early to do some laps, so I was already on the tired side when they asked. I imagine I could have done my checkout dives this weekend since the dive shop is doing some diving in Whittier this weekend. Oh well... I may end up going just to see what it's all about though :) and Have a great dive...I imagine we'll be running into each other someday...alaska is a big state, but it's amazingly small too.

Keep at it and you will do just fine. I certified in Valdez over Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago. There is just something about certifying in those conditions that adds a great deal to the experience.

It is hard for me to get down to Seward to dive. But I treasure the times I've it has worked out. You will love it.

They wanted me to try my swim test last night, but I usually go there early to do some laps, so I was already on the tired side when they asked. I imagine I could have done my checkout dives this weekend since the dive shop is doing some diving in Whittier this weekend.
Strange...we had to do our swim test at the beginning of the class - in order to STAY in the class. Anyway - try wearing your wetsuit for your swim test. It will give you buoyancy and make it easier to swim, even without the fins :)

Strange...we had to do our swim test at the beginning of the class - in order to STAY in the class. Anyway - try wearing your wetsuit for your swim test. It will give you buoyancy and make it easier to swim, even without the fins :)

Oh...we did... I didn't do so hot. I do have high blood pressure and on some medication, specifically atenolol a beta-blocker that is known to cause performance issues. I've also lost 40 lbs since I was given the dosages I've been prescribed, so after talking to the doctor I've been able to cut back on some of the dosages.. They gave me the option to continue the class and re-take the swim test whenever I feel I'm ready.

I'll be retaking the test this wednesday. Sadly....wetsuit is not allowed, however, I do have the option of doing it with mask, snorkel and fins with an additional 100 meters added on for a total of 300 meters. I'll see how that goes...it'll allow me to relax more.

I remember when I took a lifeguard class - the swim test before being allowed in the class was 500 yards in something like 10 minutes, using different strokes - and no mask, fins or snorkel either. I thought I would never make it - but I did. Barely. :)

Make some swim gear out of an old wetsuit :)

Good luck on your re-test.

A couple of pointers on the retest from someone who swims five days a week, teaches fin swimming, and participates in other forms of aquatic madness.

The key to swimming more easily is streamlining. Try swimming with arms extended in front of you with your head face down in the water between your shoulders. I know this is not recommended for kicking on scuba, but it does wonders when swimming on the surface with fins.
Don't wear full cut boardshorts as this is like swimming with a parachute tied to your feet, if you have them wear jammers or something cut a little narrower like running shorts.
Can you kick the entire distance for the test? Unless you are used to swimming with fins while doing the forward crawl you may find it easier just to kick.
If you can kick for the test try floating on your back and using a flutter kick for some of the lengths. You may find it easier. Just make sure you don't swim head on into the end of the pool and compress a few vertabrae. Extracing someone on a backboard is a skill that is best practiced in the hope you never have to use it. The key is keeping the back and hips in line so your butt doesn't sink. That tends to result in people using more of a bicycle kick which can be very inefficient. Oh yeah, when you are swimming on your back the "snorkel" becomes a "straw".
Good luck. The secret to swimming better is to practice doing it right.

I know my big problem with "swimming naked" (no fins) is that no matter what I do, my legs just sink like rocks, no matter how hard I kick. Maybe it's because of all the metal they contain (many injuries) - I dunno. But if I have to swim without fins, it's like pushing against air - I just don't get much push.

Good tips from CoveDiver though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom